Heating Element in a Recirculating System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
I've seen recirc systems that have a heating element built into the recirc loop. They appear to be installed inside a section of pipe in the loop. Does anyone know of a thread with some tips or instructions for building this? Maybe it's as simple as building a heat stick inside a pipe...I just want to live long enough to drink what I ferment. I also want to wire it with a standard 3-prong plug to plug into this:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=44

I think Auber needs an "electric homebrew kit" that includes everything you need, because this is getting crazy with so many people going electric... myself included!

Mine went through a couple of design iterations before I finally figured this out. The tricks are:
* making sure you keep the element submerged so it doesn't burn up
* grounding the pipe properly so you don't burn up
* using an element with a lot of surface area (ie high wattage) to reduce hot spots that will burn your wort
* I also run a 240 volt element on 120 volts to reduce the potential for burned wort/mash

It's all about keep stuff from burning. Keep in mind, my boil kettle is propane, my RHIMS element is 120V and my brew structure is flammable wood! :drunk:

See the whole thing on my 3DogBrewery website

Thanks guys,
I have the parts I need to build this. I picked up a 4500W 240v heater that I'm going to run on std household current.

My main concern now is the ground. I've seen one post where someone made a large washer from a sheet of copper and soldered the ground to that. The whole thing was fitted to the end of the element. Is that really enough for a proper ground? I have a piece of metal conduit that is 10' long. What if I cut off a 3-4' section of that and hammered it into the ground behind a shrub outside my garage? What if I used an alligator clip or even a battery clamp attached to a ground wire and then attached to the conduit? I have to think that is a better ground...or am I off base?

Thanks guys,
I have the parts I need to build this. I picked up a 4500W 240v heater that I'm going to run on std household current.

My main concern now is the ground. I've seen one post where someone made a large washer from a sheet of copper and soldered the ground to that. The whole thing was fitted to the end of the element. Is that really enough for a proper ground? I have a piece of metal conduit that is 10' long. What if I cut off a 3-4' section of that and hammered it into the ground behind a shrub outside my garage? What if I used an alligator clip or even a battery clamp attached to a ground wire and then attached to the conduit? I have to think that is a better ground...or am I off base?

If the outlet you plan to use is grounded properly it should be grounded back at your panel. Simply take the ground wire from the cable that goes from your outlet to the element and attach it to the Kettle.

If the outlet you plan to use is grounded properly it should be grounded back at your panel. Simply take the ground wire from the cable that goes from your outlet to the element and attach it to the Kettle.

Well hell that makes sense. Now the whole copper ring thing makes sense. I forgot I'm using a three pronged cord.

Back