Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey talk to SWMBO not me. If she didn't have a say I'd come home with the whole litter hahaha

Haha we now have three dogs and it's crazy. Maybe b/c the new addition is a puppy and the other two are older and don't have the energy or patience. We ended up with the third b/c of my wife and kids.

We have a zoo with three dogs and one cat (all female too). Plus two little girls. I'm a little out numbered and a push over, so that's how we ended up with three dogs.

The plus side is the older dogs do teach the younger ones. My household had a system until I went all Senior Giant breed: Older alpha, Middle buffer, Younger learning from the others.

It does work IF at least the alpha is a well behave authoritarian or the two older are on the same page of "proper behavior". Three is the magic number in this activity.

kev211, Your job now is to decide on a training method then read up on how things are going to go. IMHO everything starts with potty training, it mean waking up every two hours and taking puppy out side and if puppy goes potty you make lots of noise, clap your hands, yell GOOD BOY, then take him inside and play with him before he goes back in his crate. I train dogs and use the "puppy can do no wrong, everything in puppies life is in my control, everything is my fault" and that has really paid off for me. Everyone complements me on how well my dog is trained and how nice she is. You have a window to train puppy, I'm sure you will do a good job.

kev211, Your job now is to decide on a training method then read up on how things are going to go. IMHO everything starts with potty training, it mean waking up every two hours and taking puppy out side and if puppy goes potty you make lots of noise, clap your hands, yell GOOD BOY, then take him inside and play with him before he goes back in his crate. I train dogs and use the "puppy can do no wrong, everything in puppies life is in my control, everything is my fault" and that has really paid off for me. Everyone complements me on how well my dog is trained and how nice she is. You have a window to train puppy, I'm sure you will do a good job.

Oh ya. He's gonna get trained up. My dogs are always well behaved and well trained. I hunt with my dogs so vocal commands are huge. I haven't had a dog in a few years but I'm no stranger to training them up. But I do appreciate the pointers. Puppies are so mischievous that I feel like any ideas from fellow dog owners are totally welcome

Gingergirl

IMGP2773.jpg

Just rescued this sweet little hound named Amy from the Northumberland County Animal Shelter in Virginia on Wednesday. Here she is at the shelter, and resting in the shade at my house on our first walk up here at my place in Maryland.

My Dad rescued a Lab-Chow-Shepherd mix from the same shelter last fall after my Mom died. He spoils her and inspired me to get my own dog.

Amy doesn't particularly like the smell of beer, she is still trying to get her arms around the whole adoption thing, and having a lot of hound in her, she seems overwhelmed by all the sights, smells, and sounds at both my Dad's house and here in Maryland. Its a new experience for me being a dog owner for the first time as well. I have gone downstairs to the brewery, and tried to lure her down, but she is hesitant to descend the steps yet.

Amy_at NCAS.jpg

FB_IMG_1492802135184[1].jpg

FB_IMG_1492559821496[1].jpg

Cute little fellow, both Amy and I had a stressful day yesterday and this afternoon she is kinda blah, just wants to hang around her crate and I want to nap.

I had a beagle growing up so I know all too well the hound dog attributes. Nose to the ground or eating is pretty normal :D Congrats on the pup! Shes a cutie

This pic is from the day we adopted Duncan, saying hi to Parker TR Sheltie. Parker (and I) was getting lonely after his buddy Guinness died. Duncan is finally convinced we won't eat him and he and Parker have been playing & wrestling throughout the house and yard with no fights or injuries!

View attachment 1493092680401.jpg

Cat escaped through dog door (standard flap thing) 1 week ago. Wife freaked. Yea, I know, cat wasn't going far, would have come right back, tell my wife. This is maybe our 7th or 8th cat. Anyway, plan B for Marlee the wonder dog and her idyllic life here at casa passedpawn.

I put one of those electric dog doors into the wall. Pretty sweet. It's only been a few days, but I highly recommend the High Tech Pet Door for anybody in the same position. It's damned nice. I'll post some pics if anybody is interested in something like this.

Amy has started to settle in, I have started to notice some of her personality traits and am making way teaching her some basic commands, and progress toward potty training. Since she is still dogwise, a teenager, she is a handful to keep up with. Working with her hound instincts she loves to sniff out kibble treats in the grass, and I think she has a little Pointer in her. I was working with her and she stood up straight and froze, with her nose pointing at a semi-feral cat that hunts along the fenceline. She did make a halfass run at it when it started to move, but she broke it off well before she reached the end of her tether.
20170427_124829.jpg
She made the daylillies I planted around the propane tank her outside bed.
20170427_164352.jpg
Here she is resting in the shade after I finished mowing the yard.

Last edited:
Cat escaped through dog door (standard flap thing) 1 week ago. Wife freaked. Yea, I know, cat wasn't going far, would have come right back, tell my wife. This is maybe our 7th or 8th cat. Anyway, plan B for Marlee the wonder dog and her idyllic life here at casa passedpawn.

I put one of those electric dog doors into the wall. Pretty sweet. It's only been a few days, but I highly recommend the High Tech Pet Door for anybody in the same position. It's damned nice. I'll post some pics if anybody is interested in something like this.

I'd love to see some pics of that door. We live in a place where the extreme cold and wild critters make a non secured dog door a no go.

Here's Duncan's first brew day, he really likes malt!

View attachment 1493646153678.jpg

I'd love to see some pics of that door. We live in a place where the extreme cold and wild critters make a non secured dog door a no go.

http://www.hitecpet.com/powerpetdoors.html. Amazon carries.

I just put it in this week, but I'm really happy with it already. It's meant to go into a solid door, but I installed it in 10" concrete wall. I've got some cleanup around the thing left to do, but it's in operation now. Marlee got used to it right away :)

Last weekend I did my research and concluded this one was the best, then coincidentally found a used one on craigslist. They guy ended up just giving it to me for free :) I need to replace the yellowish aged looking plexi door ($40), but otherwise it's perfect. The company, High Tech Pet Door, has replacement parts available for it.

It seals completely - I can't detect any air flow around the door there - it slides in channels on the side and bottom, and seals completely when closed.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0K7fC0fjYo[/ame]

door3-68133.jpg

door2-68132.jpg

door1-68131.jpg

Today is a sad day in the Brewenstein house. This evening we will say goodbye to our Dakota. He has given us 13-1/2 great years and will be missed greatly. He has slowed down this past year, but took a turn the last few days. Our vet isn't sure what is wrong without a lot of testing but knows it is something serious. He can hardly make it from one pillow to the other one without collapsing. So we have decided to let him go while he still has some dignity. Our daughter that lives in Pittsburgh drove in last night and we will FaceTime our daughter that lives in Tampa so that we can all be together.

I took this picture this morning as I headed out to work. You can't see it, but our son slept beside him all night.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1494500407.711385.jpg

@Brewenstein , Please know that we are here with you and your family as you go through this. Having been through it more times than I care to, I know the range of emotions you and you family are going through. Dakota lived the life of Royalty and I will raise my pint to him tonight.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we lose them.

@Brewenstein my condolences. Our pets become more than just a pet. They become one of the family and having to say goodbye is the hardest part. I will be raising a pint tonight in Dakotas honor. It looks like he lived the life of luxury and was a well cared for pooch. Godspeed :(

Sorry to hear it Brewenstein. Having to let go of a best friend like that is something that can't really be explained until the day you are in that position. Hopefully Dakota meets up with my Rainy & Gus, they look like they could be great buddies.

I am home now rereading these posts with a pint of home brew in hand. I don't think my cats did any cleaning today as it seems to be rather dusty in here.

To Dakota. One very loved puppy. :(

Thanks guys. Dakota is with all the great ones that have gone before him. He couldn't get up except to turn around, but was still was responsive to all of us. Made it that much harder but we knew it was the right thing to do before he began to suffer. I've had a shot and now raising a pint [emoji481]. Cheers HBT!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1494553629.444031.jpg

Latest posts

Back