EdWort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can definitely rack, but don't add priming sugar as it will ferment out and drop more lees.

Thanks for the reply i really appreciate it. i racked it, waiting on priming sugar. when do you think i'll be safe to add priming sugar? i'm at 22 days now. I'm thinking 50 days

Thanks for the reply i really appreciate it. i racked it, waiting on priming sugar. when do you think i'll be safe to add priming sugar? i'm at 22 days now. I'm thinking 50 days

You don't add priming sugar until the cider is clear and you are ready to bottle it. You add the sugar and immediately bottle it. Fermentation will restart and you want to keep that CO2 in solution to carbonate your cider.

You don't add priming sugar until the cider is clear and you are ready to bottle it. You add the sugar and immediately bottle it. Fermentation will restart and you want to keep that CO2 in solution to carbonate your cider.

it's been that clear for a few days but it's only been about 22 days. should i let it age more before adding sugar or is the general rule of thumb, if it's clear it's ready to be backsweetened/carbonated

If it's clear you can bottle. But I've found that the flavor improves with time. It's up to you.

If it's clear you can bottle. But I've found that the flavor improves with time. It's up to you.

cool, i'm in no rush so i'll let it sit, just poured out about 3 oz of this to taste and it isn't even bad tasting at all.. winey tasting with just a bit of apple flavor. assuming apple flavor becomes more pronounced over time. i added a very tiny amount of sugar after first sip but it didnt noticeably increase the flavor in any complimentary way which i found interesting. i'm probably going to start a 7g batch in one of my large plastic tubs then transfer to a 6g and a 1g in about 2 months after i've let the current gallon i have age a bit, sugar,carb,bottle.

my batch of edworts apfelwein was 3 months in carboy and now 2.5 months conditioning. I've been picking out a bottle every other week or so and its getting harder to hold back. Last bottle had a sour apple flavor that reminded me of a sweet tart. I'm glad i'm already over a month in on fermenting my second batch because I know the first batch will go quickly.

been sippin on this chilled in freezer, still backsweetened

have 3/4 of the first gallon carbonating in an apple juice plastic container with sugar. prob will drink it in a week.

anyways i just got back from store, picked up 5g apple juice (premixed bottled) from concentrate (no preservs) and a 4lb bag sugar for $12 total

time to make 5 more gallons hahaah

the difference in taste from a week or 2 ago is huge, its pretty good.

ok so just pitched yeast. 1.5packs of montrachet, one as a 1hour starter the other just thrown in. put a total of 5.5lb sugar in for 11%.

i love how ridiculously easy this is to make. you can just throw things in it and it works.

I made this back in early January. Forgot about it until today, so I tried one.

This stuff is dangerously good. If I'd have known how easy this is to make when I was a freshman in college, I'd have gotten into big trouble fast. I'd have been super popular, but also in deep deep poop.

I know that this is an old thread, but I had a question. The recipe for Ed Wort's Apfelwein calls for just dumping the corn sugar straight into the apple juice as opposed to dissolving it in water that has been boiled and then cooled. If you dump it in without dissolving it, don't you risk contamination?

Latest posts

Back