Copper Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snipper_cr

Reaction score
So I cannot recall where I read this. I thought it might have been in Palmer's book but can't find it. In short, it was something pointing out the problem of a copper wort chiller saying that a oxide (or something) layer often gets dissolved in the wort during cooling and although it makes the copper shiny, can add bad flavors to beer.

I cannot remember where I read this, perhaps someone could clarify? Any precautions about using a copper wort chiller?

Thanks!

I haven't heard that. The one thing you do want to avoid is allowing the green copper verdigris to form on any copper.

Many of us use copper chillers, myself included, and I've never once had a bad flavor as a result of the copper.

You read it in Palmer's book, it's in page 21 under "Cleaning Copper."

If you have a buildup on your IC, he recommends using white distilled vinegar to clean it with. Otherwise, a bath in some PBW works well.

You read it in Palmer's book, it's in page 21 under "Cleaning Copper."

If you have a buildup on your IC, he recommends using white distilled vinegar to clean it with. Otherwise, a bath in some PBW works well.

About 3-4 times a year I'll run a water/vinegar solution through all my copper, and submerse my IC in it as well. that usually does the trick...can't say as I've ever had off flavors from my copper.... had em from plenty of other things...but copper was never a worry

I use a stainless steel chiller. Not because of worries about off flavors or anything like that... just because it was cheaper.

I am looking for that same thread! I think it just said to boil the sh*t out of it in plain water the first time to remove any film that may exist. Then use as directed.

Back