Grain Storage Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayakr1988

Reaction score
So i work at a distributing company for soldering and esd safe equipment and we received a salvage drum from UPS a few weeks back that had some isopropyl in it that they said was leaking. However it was not leaking and was completely dry. We asked if they wanted it back and they said no.

I looked up the container and it is FDA approved plastic and seals and holds up to 2 psi.

My question is, Can i use it for grain? How should i clean it to be sure there is nothing in it(I dont know if they used it before for anything else). Let me know what you all think.

IMG_1645.jpg

It stored isopropyl alcohol? Well, I guess it's pretty darn clean inside, then.

If it were mine, I'd air it out for a week or so and then stick my head inside to see if I could smell anything funky. Then I'd use it to store some 2-row. And then make some beer with it and then give that beer to someone I'm not too fond of and see if they die or grow any extra limbs. And if they don't, then I'd use it without worry.

I'd clean it with PBW - start with HOT water and soaking for a few days, then do the sniff test landolincoln suggested.. Unless what was in it before was TOXIC, storing a dry product (like grain) should be OK. Storing any liquid in it might raise concerns.

Well It didnt actually come in contact with the isopropyl but UPS could have used it for something else that could be toxic.

Ill clean it real well and do a sniff test.

Thanks

Well It didnt actually come in contact with the isopropyl but UPS could have used it for something else that could be toxic.

Ill clean it real well and do a sniff test.

Thanks

Be careful. If it could have held toxic materials, you'd be better off buying a food grade container or two (a couple of brewing buckets), than risking getting someone sick.

That's a Corrosive Liquid label on the side. I was going to say relax until I saw that.

***DO NOT PUT ANY CHEMICAL IN THE DRUM UNTIL IT HAS BEEN THOROUGHLY RINSED WITH PLAIN WATER***

You might get a nice chemical reaction going with any residue that might be there. Also, be careful rinsing. Adding water to some residue might be dangerous (I.e. - sodium hydroxide).

Rinse outside away from houses and people. Be ready to run if you feel heat or see smoke.

After you rinsed it out well three or four times, then try a cleaner.

For grain storage, I would line the bin with a heavy duty plastic bag before putting my grain in, though.

Does the corrosive sticker have a four digit UN number on it? If it does, you can run the number through the DOT hazmat database to see what exactly was in the drum. That is unless it has been reused and previously contained something else. The sticker will only relate to the most recent contents.

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/hazmat/erg/

Back