Paint strainer bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+HopSpunge+

Reaction score
Will the paint bags that you get from home depot melt if they contact the bottom of my kettle durring the boil? I have a hop-spider that I made out of one, but I don't like it. I would just rather tie the hops up in a ball and throw them in, but if I do that they will probably touch the bottom of the kettle periodically.

Unless your kettle is only 8 inches tall, then there is absolutely no worry of this. You should be fine. That's if you wrap the bag around the kettle brim. Be careful doing this though since the tips of the bag can scorch if your flames are high, or your kettle is short.

I tie the bag loosely to the kettle handle and secure it with a rubber band. This method also allows you to stir the wort better with your spoon without the bag getting in the way.

Your bag would have to be stuck to the bottom of the kettle to scorch. The liquid around the bag should prevent this from occurring as will the circulation of the wort during the boil.

Have and will use them again. I just throw the hops in then filter the wort through the bag when transferring to fermenter (they fit the fermenter buckets amazingly well, you would think they are made for 5-7 gal buckets).

yes.

I had some grains in one and didn't catch it in time.... when I stirred the wort I noticed a burn spot on the bag's bottom corner.

I imagine, given enough time on the bottom it will melt all the way and open/ruin the batch

Have and will use them again. I just throw the hops in then filter the wort through the bag when transferring to fermenter (they fit the fermenter buckets amazingly well, you would think they are made for 5-7 gal buckets).

are you talking about huge bags? The ones I grabbed from HD are for like 1 gallon cans... the mouth on them is small

I clip my paint strainer bag to the top of my kettle, works well, especially when added hops.

I have the one gallon bags but have recently started using my 5 gallon bag. I throw in the hops at each addition and clip it to the rim. Afterward there is only one bag to clean and it is also big enough that the hops stay loose and the wort flows freely through.

Ive used the Homer bags for hops so long that they are pretty much black and never had a problem with just throwing them in the boil.

I've never had an issue with them.

I just toss 'em in loose. They've even gotta stuck under my chiller before (and thus pressed against the bottom). No signs of melting at all.

Cool. This should work good for me. I like to stir the wort alot, and the stupid spider i made would get twisted around my spoon. And it would get in the way all the time. Thanks

To be honest, now I just toss hops in loose. Pellets and whole cones. I strain them post-chilling by pouring the kettle into a bucket lined with a 5-gallon bag. Lift the bag, gentle squeeze, done. That's it.

To be honest, now I just toss hops in loose. Pellets and whole cones. I strain them post-chilling by pouring the kettle into a bucket lined with a 5-gallon bag. Lift the bag, gentle squeeze, done. That's it.

I can't lift it. It's too heavy.

Back