Primary fermentation done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefoxicy

Reaction score
Primary is done I think. Haven't hygrometer'd it. It stopped bubbling and started sucking bubbles inward instead. There's like 2 inches of whatever this junk at the bottom is called. Turb or turd or something.

I guess the next step is to get the secondary vessel, turn this glass carboy into a pretend conical by tipping it up on its corner for a little while, and rack into the secondary for a couple weeks.

What do I do with the crud? Can I dump that down the toilet or should I strain it and chuck it in the trash, or should I soak it in oxiclean to liquify it or what?

1) Bubbling is not an indication of fermentation; take hydrometer readings on consecutive days, if the reading remains unchanged, fermentation is done.

2) Not sure why you would tip the fermenter. Just get an autosiphon to rack the beer to the secondary.

3) Just use warm water to rinse the trub out of the fermenter and pour down the drain, it will not hurt anything. Then clean the carboy with oxyclean to get off any stuck crud.

+1 on hydrometer readings...every once in a while it will surprise me and not be totally done. As for the trub in the bottom- a little warm water and oxyclean will go a long way... you really really need to get a hydrometer because in the end theres no other way to tell if its done

Primary is done I think. Haven't hygrometer'd it. It stopped bubbling and started sucking bubbles inward instead. There's like 2 inches of whatever this junk at the bottom is called. Turb or turd or something.

I guess the next step is to get the secondary vessel, turn this glass carboy into a pretend conical by tipping it up on its corner for a little while, and rack into the secondary for a couple weeks.

What do I do with the crud? Can I dump that down the toilet or should I strain it and chuck it in the trash, or should I soak it in oxiclean to liquify it or what?
It seems like youve done a little reading so this seems like a funny question to me. So your question is what to do with the garbage? Pour it down the drain.

+3 If you let your beer sit in the primary for 2-3 weeks, you will be surprised at how much better it will taste, instead of immediately racking when its "done".

Alright, someone gave me the 1-2-3 rule but I guess I'll leave it in there a bit longer. It's been in for about a week as of Sunday.

Unless your dryhopping you can do the 3-3 rule, 3weeks in primary and 3weeks in the bottle, a lot less hassle than messing with a secondary, and you beer will benefit.

Can I use my corny keg as the "secondary" fermenter since I want to free up my primary for a new brew? And if yes, does fermentation have to be done prior to entry into the secondary?

I stopped reading and starting laughing so loud that my co-worker stopped by at "turb or turd" hahahahahahaha

TheJadedDog said:
2) Not sure why you would tip the fermenter. Just get an autosiphon to rack the beer to the secondary.

I've never done it, but I think the idea is you will have uneven trub (I'm going to start calling it turd, as OP did) and then can rack from a point where it is "shallow." In this way, you can get slightly more beer or slightly less turd or both.

Back