American IPA Wounded Knee IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kegged this today (after 25 days primary including 7 days dry hopped)

Tastes like nothing I've ever made before. :mug:

This is the most "involved" beer I've ever made, and I used many new procedures.

My first time:
- First Wort Hopping
- Dry Hopping
- Mashing below 152F
- Toasting Grains
- Double Batch Sparging

This is awesome.

Brewed this up last saturday. It is looking good with about 2" of krausen sitting @ 65.7 deg. I think I might double the dry hop to keep the amounts at an even oz (I brewed a 5 gal batch). Can't wait try another EdWort brew!

No Simoce to be found anywhere around me locally. I have Amarillo, Centennial, Willamette, Cascade, and Magnum. I am happy to pick up some others if needed. Any suggestions on the best way to replace the unreplaceable Simcoe?

I am hoping to brew this or Dude's Lakewalk this week.

No Simoce to be found anywhere around me locally. I have Amarillo, Centennial, Willamette, Cascade, and Magnum. I am happy to pick up some others if needed. Any suggestions on the best way to replace the unreplaceable Simcoe?

I am hoping to brew this or Dude's Lakewalk this week.

I had the same problem. I used a 2:3 ratio of Chinook/Summit as a direct replacement for Simcoe. It was a little on the bitter side, but it calmed down after a month in the keg.

Hey Ed, can the two row be roasted AFTER milling? I have my local mill my grains as I don't own a mill, nor want to given the space of my current setup.

Hey Ed, can the two row be roasted AFTER milling? I have my local mill my grains as I don't own a mill, nor want to given the space of my current setup.

in this thread it says that its better to toast your grain before crushing, but that it can be done afterwards, just for a shorter time and to keep a closer eye on it (20 min maybe?). also i keep a pie pan of water on the bottom rack when i toast to help moisten the grain and keep it from burning.

I premixed and crushed my grain for the stone ipa and then decided on this, so im either going to sub some victory or biscuit (saw someone mention that, probably wont taste exactly the same but should be close) or im going to stick with the stone IPA and then brew this one next week. Not brewing till tomorrow though so i have some time to figure it out.

Im not an expert btw like some of these others, so take my advice with a grain of salt, just trying to help.

I just moved and uncovered bags labeled "Wounded Knee IPA" Forgot I had everything here waiting to brew. I'm just going off to boil, smells good so far. First time toasting grains at home and everyone here loved the aromas.

I just brewed a batch if this using a new propane burner and boil kettle. Ended up with less wort in primary (boil off more than expected) than I planned so overshot OG by a bit. OG was 1.063 and all I had was 1 pkg of s-05 (no starter). Does anyone have any experience using s-05 at that concentration w/o starter??

I bottled this on 3-24 and just had my first taste. A really awesome beer that I plan on submitting to local homebrew competition. The single package of S-05 worked perfectly and the hop profile bitterness is near perfect as is the aroma. I'll brew this again and will swap centennial for the cascade for a little more intense hop flavor. I'll post results from the judges when they're available.

I received back my competition results and both judges described a diacetyl flaw. Admittedly I was concerned about there not being enough yeast when I pitched into primary. I dismissed the potential problem when I had my first taste. Obviously my palate is not sensitive to the butter flavor... Anyway I'm providing it here as a recommendation- if you've got og>.060 then use a starter or 2 packets of safale -05 to avoid off flavors. There's a thread in this forum that discusses diacetyl with similar type beer, OG, and single packet of S-05 if you are interested in other opinions.

Cheers

jsieling said:
would you crash cool even if you were going to bottle?

I would cold crash all my beers if I had room in my fridge. If you do a search on cold crash in general technics there's opinions on how to do it... If you need help :)

Hello
Quick question how much priming sugar would you use for this beer on 5 gallons
thanks
Mike

Back