Access to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judd

Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of people treat Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale as pretty key beers. Not earth-shattering, but touchstones. I've never tried either of these beers, nor have I seen them in stores around here. Does anyone know where to get either of these beers in Canada?

I live in Nova Scotia and neither of these beers are available - looks like you live here as well. If you wanna try some good local homebrew pick up a quart or 6 pack of propeller. Thye have several different styles available. Also you can try a pind downtown at the rogues roost - they brew all their beer onsite and they have some good pub food as well. Also there is a Garrison Brewery - I dont care too much for them from what I tried so far but alot of people have good things to say about their Imperial Pale Ale. Also at the NSLC Id recomend the St. Ambroise taster pack - it is made by a microbrewery in Quebec - it is great beer.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tips. I'm quite familiar with propeller - the brewery is down the street from my house.

I have only had one Sam Adams and its their Cherry Wheat. Im not impressed.

As for access to beer I won't tell you what I have in my area (I hate to see grown men cry) :p

GaryA said:

As for access to beer I won't tell you what I have in my area (I hate to see grown men cry) :p

I bought a Sam Adams summer sampler and it had two cherry wheats in it. They really did suck. Not typical of Sam Adams. Lots of resteraunts have Sam Adams Boston Lager, so that is what I usually order.

I bought some Cherry Wheat today, and boy was I disappointed. Some of the nastiest stuff I have ever had.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, on the other hand is great :)

Jaybird said:
I say boycot Sam Adams for reniging on there deal to brew the beer from the winner of there latest contest.
That was my initial reaction. However, there's more info available now. Apparently they would've spent nearly any amount of money to get the hops required to brew it. The hops simply aren't available, so they can't brew it. They committed to a 2009 edition. The winner is happy with that.

Now, concerning their beer...I haven't found a single one that I'd be willing to use as a benchmark, keystone, or even a "touchstone" brew. Most of them are watery and a bit bland. Certainly not "reckless" in the hopping as their advertising says. The Cherry Wheat tastes like carbonated cough syrup. The Summer Ale is probably their best offering.

SNPA is good beer, and it's a great intro to American West Coast style ale. There are better to be had, though. See if you can find Stone, Rogue, Bell's, Oskar Blues, Odell's, Full Sail, etc, etc, etc...

I rather like most of what SA has to offer. I'm not big on the fruit beers they make, but the Boston Lager, Cream Stout, and Octoberfest are definitly worth trying if you can.

SNPA is pretty good, but I'm not the biggest cascade fan so I don't have it often. It is a good brew though!

Having drank quite a bit of Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada, I don't see the hype, at least not any more. They both started out as original craft breweries, but in their success have turned into "beer factories," placing more emphasis on quantity than quality. I know I won't make any friends with that statement, but I've seen it happen to several of the original "Micro Breweries" over the last 10-15 years, and it saddens me in the worst way.

I've never seen any of the major US micro's available anywhere up here. It's too bad, I'm not at all a cascade hop fan but I'd still like to try some examples of the West Coast style beers.

bradsul said:
I've never seen any of the major US micro's available anywhere up here. It's too bad, I'm not at all a cascade hop fan but I'd still like to try some examples of the West Coast style beers.

+1

I used to cross border shop when the dollar was strong in the early 90's but it appears the bargains aren't there as much any more. The only thing that might get me across now are the beers considering the cost of meals and lodging. SWMBO has been bugging me for a 'mini-vacation' but how much do you want to pay for a beer?

mr x said:
The best stuff you can get here as far as I am concerned is the St. Ambroise beer.
Certainly can't go wrong with that! I get the oatmeal stout on beer gas at my local pub. :D

If you ever see it, Wellington Brewery Best Bitter is excellent. I get that as real ale (beer engine and all) at my pub too. It's usually a toss up if I have the oatmeal stout or the best bitter (which of course means I'll usually have a couple of each).

The Cherry Wheat tastes like cough syrup. Not exactly the subtleness I look for in a fruit beer.

Oops. I just noticed Yuri already said that. Because it's true. I was on tour with a seven piece band when I tried it. The six pack lasted close to two weeks in the van despite the fact that I told people to help themselves.

SA is overrated IMO. Boston Lager and Guinness got me into good beer so I can't hate too much. I still think the Boston Lager is the best that I have had from them. Decent at best. Noble Pils was terrible. Tasted like it was dry hopped with grass.

SN makes solid beers. Nothing amazing but definitely good. Although their 30th series has been awesome.

As for Canada, I love some Unibroue and Dieu du Ciel (Péché Mortel!).

ive bought a Sam Adams summer sampler before, can honestly say i will never buy SA again. gross comes to mind when i think about any of their products

Sam adams cherry wheat is really horrible. It is a little better on tap then in bottles. I must say the boston lager is a really really good beer and so is there brickhouse red ale they only make in the brewery.

They release quality products that sell. Sierra Nevade was never for me. I tried it a few times but never do anything for me.

Latest posts

Back