Measuring volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
I was wondering, what is the easiest way to measure my volume in my pot? How to know how much was lost during boil etc. No way I'll put back my 5-6 gal in a measure cup or something lol

Get a stainless rod or metal spoon and then add a gallon (or 1/2 gallon) to the pot, put the rod/spoon in and scratch a line where the water level is. Add another gallon and repeat. Keep going until you are at the top. Then you can just put this in your pot during the boil to check levels.

I use a metal stick with etchings on it to mark gallons. Just stick it in and measure. You'll have to calibrate it to your specific pot using water.

For my brew kettle I made a dip stick by filling it 1/2 gallon at a time and using electrical tape to mark the increments. I used red electrical tape on a white plastic rod which is really easy to see, but the down side is that leaving it in the kettle for more than a few seconds would likely dissolve some of the adhesive from the tape into the wort.

An alternative method I have heard is to measure the depths with a ruler and derive an equation or make a table to convert depth of liquid to volume.

Oh that's some interesting ideas. Guess it will have to be sanitized at some point like the rest.

Latest posts

Back