Raspberry Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesZ

Reaction score
I am making a very basic wheat beer and I want to add raspberry extract to it. In your experience how much raspberry extract should be added to a five gallon batch of beer. In answering this question, please do not tell me that real fruit is better (that seems to be the answer to this question in every search I do).

Thanks!
Jz

I just bottled Midwest's Raspberry Wheat this weekend. Their kit had 4 oz. of raspberry extract that was added to the bottling process.

Standard response is going to be add as much as you like for taste. Try 2 ounces to start with and see how you like it. If it is weak add more.

my vote is for 2oz... i just made a chocolate raspberry stout (5gal) and added 2oz to bottling bucket... it worked out great, several compliments from friends... if its alcohol based extract (which i think most is) it adds no more fermentables... so use normal amount of bottling sugar...

Honestly I don't recommend using fruit extracts. They have a very artificial taste to them. Almost like cough syrup. Use real fruit.

And if you do, and choose to go with raspberries, do not use more than a pound of them in a beer. The tartness they add to a beer is very overpowering. I just recently brewed a porter and added 3 pounds of frozen raspberries to the primary fermenter (after a week or so of initial fermentation), and the tartness from the berries completely took over the beer. I'm going to let it sit a while longer, but I think it ruined the batch.

I agree with CrookedTail, I just did a Northern Brewer Raspberry Wheat. I used all 4oz of extract based on some reviews. It tasted like a good ratio at bottling, once it carbed up it had a very artificial taste. My wife said exactly what was said above, that it tasted like cough syrup. I'd stay away from it or use real fruit as you've read. The longer that the beer has been in the bottle the flavor has mellowed out some but it's still artificial. If you have the ability split the batch and see the difference.

I'm going to have to agree with the "don't use extract" crowd.

I recently tried a Wasatch brewery rasberry wheat, and it tasted very artificial. Pretty well ruined what would have been a good wheat beer.

Side note, I am not a fan of Wasatch brewery. They tend not to brew to style from what I've seen. Get a brown ale and it's a hop bomb. Very disappointing.

I just did the same one and added 2.5 oz of raspberry extract and it was awesome. Not to much but you can taste the flavor for sure...I don't think it taste bad or like cough syrup at all. Will be making it again soon. Can't get enough of it.

I did 2 oz raspberry extract in a purple haze clone kit from AHS, and it was way too strong. I probably could have gone with 1/2 of that.

I also did the Midwest Kit and added the entire 4oz to the bottling process. This extract takes a while to develop taste and favor. After bottle conditioned for 2 weeks it was very week and could tell it was an artificial flavor, after 6-8 weeks the beer developed a deeper fruit taste profile.

I use a blackberry extract for my blackberry wheat ale and I use a full 4 oz and let it sit for a good couple of weeks before we get to it. Extracts are tricky and I do have to agree that you have to taste to preference as some extracts are much more powerful. Just taste as you go and give it a little time and you should be good. I add the extract to the bottom of the bottling bucket with my priming sugar and rack the beer on top so it mixes well as the beer is coming in and reduces the chance of oxygenating the beer.

I use four ounces of raspberry extract for a five gallon wheat beer and it comes out great for me and people love it so it's become a staple for me.

Try it yourself and see if you like it and if not, back off the amout of extract or go with real fruit.

I used 3 ounces in my witbier. It turned out pretty good, not too intense of a raspberry flavor but it also comes through nicely.

I brew a lot of wheat beer either flavored or unflavored. I use 4 oz to 5-6 gallons. I host a monthly poker game where we send guys to Vegas to play in the WSOP. Here is a part of the email one player sent me today regarding our game this Saturday. I gauge on how good my beer is by what others say......
"Also, when are you making me that case of raspberry wheat beer? Good stuff."

I think people expect to get a wine cooler taste to there beers when adding flavors. What your looking for is a "hint" of flavor, sometimes just on the back end. I use extracts and only use 2oz of a 4oz bottle at a time.

If you were to use fresh (or frozen berries since it's winter now), what is a good starting point to determine how much to add.
Looking to add raspberries to an ale and don't want to overshoot and ruin it.

If you were to use fresh (or frozen berries since it's winter now), what is a good starting point to determine how much to add.
Looking to add raspberries to an ale and don't want to overshoot and ruin it.

In my experience it is really difficult to overdo it by adding real fruit. But there is no hurry. Try adding a pound at a time until it tastes right to you. Some people like a strong fruit flavor, some prefer just a nuance, a suggestion of fruit. Cool thing with using real fruit is the beer turns the color of raspberry. Using a little extract and a lot of fruit has worked out well in brewing Raspberry Wits for friends... 1-2oz extract and 1-4 pounds of fruit...

I used the raspberry puree from midwest supplies and mine turned out pretty tasty. I used one can in the secondary after it had been in there for about a month and a half. The beer ended up staying in the secondary for about 4 months because work was so busy and I brewed the beer using a friend's equipment.

Back