Low enough to cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwbeard

Reaction score
I'm trying to cold crash an Irish Red Ale, but the kegerator I bought off craigslist doesn't seem to want to go below 44 (not a problem for serving ales, but a bit warm for most of the crashing threads I've read on this forum). Is 44 too warm to properly cold crash, or will it just take longer? There's about an inch of clearer beer on top now after 36 hours, but progress seems to be quite slow. I added gelatin at 24 hours, which stirred it up a bit.

Alternatively, if anyone knows the instructions to mod the Nostalgia KRS-2100, I'd be very appreciative... There are references to a fix for the thermostat to get it sub-40 but I haven't seen clear directions yet...

I do my cold crashing in my primary at 40-44F. It won't get the same dramatic effects as 33F, but it does improve the clarity of the beer. If you used gelatin, too, you're in good shape.
Most of us find that when we keg an ale and put it in the kegerator, the sediment drops out over a few days. One-two cloudy pints, then the beer is clear thereafter.

Sorry, to clarify: 36 hours after I put the fermentor in the kegerator and pumped it to maximum. The ale has been in primary just shy of three weeks now.

ahh, I see, sorry. If 44 is the lowest it'll go, then you don't really have much of a choice. Your yeast might take a little longer to fall asleep, but they will, and any sediment should be pulled out by the gelatin. I'd say you're good to go.

I also cold crash in my kegerator. It's set at 40 with a few degree swing. It seems to work fine for me. May just take a little longer than if it were near freezing.

Back