Need kegs!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VONSEITZ

Reaction score
Were can i get some cheap empty kegs to build my 3 teir system ?

I thnk i may end up having to drink 3 kegs thats gona take awhile!

I bought damaged kegs from a brewery. That's the best way if you have any near you. $30/each.

I've not had ANY luck with distributors, breweries, etc. And scrapyards are forbidden by state law to possess kegs due to the glut of people selling them for more than their deposit a few years back.

I actually got mine from guys on here. CL is also a viable option, though there are usually a few guys trolling for them already.

That's not to say you won't have different luck, but they can be difficult to scare up.

+1

They charge about $1/lb of stainless. They always have them. Or check recycling centers.

I guess it depends on what state you live in. As Homercidal mentioned it is completely illegal in the state of Michigan for a scrap yard to accept kegs for scrap. Check your local laws.

I found one in my basement when I moved into my Apartment! Asked landlord If I can grab it and he was all about getting it gone.

If you are in with a restaurant owner paying the deposit to him/her plus a couple bucks over can get you a keg or 3. My boss (owner of a local non-chain restaurant) has no problem with doing this.

If you are in with a restaurant owner paying the deposit to him/her plus a couple bucks over can get you a keg or 3. My boss (owner of a local non-chain restaurant) has no problem with doing this.

This is theft. Those kegs belong to the brewery, who paid $100+ for them. You should be buying out of service kegs or looking for broken/scrapped ones.

I guess it depends on what state you live in. As Homercidal mentioned it is completely illegal in the state of Michigan for a scrap yard to accept kegs for scrap. Check your local laws.

I'll check into that, I'm not one that is OK with the stealing of kegs....even if it is from some large brewery.

Beng, if by Manhattan, you mean NYC, then it is not illegal for you to keep at keg that you legally acquired. In NY, the container in which a consumable is purchased is legally transferred to the purchaser.

Beng, if by Manhattan, you mean NYC, then it is not illegal for you to keep at keg that you legally acquired. In NY, the container in which a consumable is purchased is legally transferred to the purchaser.

Nope, talking about the "little apple". Manhattan KS:fro:

If you're in Manhattan, KS, check with Tallgrass. I know they're new, but they may have a few decommissioned kegs laying around. The owner is a friend of a friend, and I've met a few of the brewers a different beer fests. All cool guys. If they don't have any decommissioned ones, maybe they can cut you a decent deal on some.

I live 2 blocks from a BevMo and the manager said they get slightly damaged ones all the time. Said I can scoop em up for $40 each but I'm going to try to bring em down.

If you're in Manhattan, KS, check with Tallgrass. I know they're new, but they may have a few decommissioned kegs laying around. The owner is a friend of a friend, and I've met a few of the brewers a different beer fests. All cool guys. If they don't have any decommissioned ones, maybe they can cut you a decent deal on some.

Thats where I buy my grain from, I'll give em a check.

Back