A few questions about converting recipe to A.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
First, I use hopville recipe calculator. Why does 13lb4oz of 2 row pale malt give a different color than 9lb14oz of LME? They have equivalent SG. I thought LME and 2 row pale were different forms of the same product.

I am trying to make a barley wine. Here's the original recipe grain bill:
9lb14oz LME
2lb Light Brown Sugar
2lb Caramel/Crystal 20L
1.104 OG
12SRM Copper to red/light brown

Here's my all grain "equivalent":
13lb4oz 2 row pale malt
2lb Light Brown Sugar
2lb Caramel/Crystal 20L
1.104 OG
9SRM Gold to Copper

Second, I'm trying to change the hop schedule to compensate for my 6 gallon preboil volume vs. the original 4 gallon preboil volume. Can I just adjust all the hop additions by the same percentage until the IBU's are the same as the original recipe? ...or are the early hop additions not affected exactly the same as the late additions when you're going from one boil volume to another?

The reason color is different between pale 2 row and lme is for a couple reasons. Malt extracts are almost never 1 malt. THey are usually a blend of 2 row and carapils or a some kind of crystal. Also Lme is usually carmelized during the boil giving it a darker color. This is one of the reasons extract brewers use late extract additions. By adding a percentage at the end of the boil they get less carmelization of the extract and a lighter beer.

As for ibus and hops typically you will use about 25% less hops doing an all grain full boil vs extract boil. I would adjust the hops by the same percentage as well to match the ibus. If I am wrong on this one please others chime in and correct me on this one.

so, i guess i'm supposed to remove some of the 2 row and substitute some crystal in there and adjust to the original color?

what would you pro's do... devote a certain percentage of the grain bill toward adjusting the color? would you stick with a certain crystal, 60L for example, and use whatever amount is required to reach desired color?

Does anyone have an exact recipe for making LME from grain? I would like to keep the same color, dextrin, and SG.

1 lb two row malt = .8 lb LME seems to be WAY overly simplified.

The recipe for LME is going to vary greatly depending on the manufacturer, the year, the costs of certain grains, etc.

I've never heard of crystal going into a LME, but I suppose it's possible, usually it's a variety of base malts.

^true, here is the ingredient sheet for Briess extracts http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_ExtractBooklet.pdf amber extract contains crystal 60, but golden or pils extract contain carapils.

...and hopville.com recipe calculator lists the following:
American two row pale (1 Lovibond)
Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2 Lovibond)
Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup (5 Lovibond)

so, my question is, how do you take two lighter ingredients and make a darker ingredient by mixing them? either hopville.com is wrong, or there is a considerable amount of caramelization involved in making LME.

^true, here is the ingredient sheet for Briess extracts http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_ExtractBooklet.pdf amber extract contains crystal 60, but golden or pils extract contain carapils.

...and hopville.com recipe calculator lists the following:
American two row pale (1 Lovibond)
Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2 Lovibond)
Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup (5 Lovibond)

so, my question is, how do you take two lighter ingredients and make a darker ingredient by mixing them? either hopville.com is wrong, or there is a considerable amount of caramelization involved in making LME.

There is quite a bit of caramelization involved in making lme. Most brewers tend to use light dme inplace of lme for that reason as well as dme stays fresher longer which gets rid of the worries of having the dreaded extract twang that you may experience with lme depending on how fresh it is as well as how it was stored.

i think a pound of DME at the local brew store costs $5. LME only costs $2.50.

...but maybe that's because they have a hard time selling the LME before it goes bad. i know my first extract beer had so much twang that i went to all grain on my second batch.

Back