GFI outlet vs breaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm in the final stages of wiring up my control panel for the HERMS project. I'm toying with safety questions, and was wondering if anyone wanted to offer some guidance.

I have a thermal breaker installed in my control panel on the hot leg 120 vac. This is to serve as basic protection to shorts which in an ideal do not take place through me!

I was thinking about trip time for the breaker, and it is probably not very fast compared to GFI. That said, I would like to employ some sort of GFI protection to the rig.

I will do my brewing on the driveway, and the brewery will be plugged into a GFI outlet. I do not have any GFI breakers in my houses electrical panel. That said, pending the GFI outlet is working, should I be worried about any shock hazard? Is this sufficient?

Thanks,

Bryan

The main reason (I thought anyways) was to only use a GFI breaker for hardwired appliances like dishwashers, garbage disposals, hot tubs etc... Use a GFI outlet with a properly grounded circuit to protect individual outlets. Also, if you use a GFI breaker and have a "trip" it is much harder to find the source of the problem when you have multiple outlets on a single GFI breaker.

Back