If you don't plant a Cascade you're crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found some info. for the CTZ folks out there:
http://www.hopsteiner.com/history11.htm
at the bottom of the page you'll find an explanation that zeus is genetically different than columbus/tomahawk.

At this point I'm sold on this variety. It kicked a$$ last year and the IPA I used the oz. and a half I had to bitter turned out amazing. It's a keeper in my yard, male flowers and aphids aside.

< 2 weeks in containers. (taken tuesday.. willamette has grown quite a bit in the 2 days since, and the others are following suit.)

DSC07528.jpg

DSC07530.jpg

DSC07531.jpg

DSC07532.jpg

DSC07533.jpg

great spot with 8+ hours of sun, unfortunately i cant put up a permanent trellis or plant them in the ground in this spot (gonna be putting the house on the market soon). I am scrounging around for larger planters to transfer them to. The trellis set up will be similar to the BYO method, using a ~10 ft stake of wood and an adjustable length of twine, i will lower the bine as it reaches the top. If i can find wooden planters/make my own from shipping pallets/aquire some half barrel planters i will drill the wooden stake to the planter (otherwise those will sit in-ground).

i have some rubbermaid bins, but i am currently holding out for planters similar to the plastic, faux terracotta ones pictured above. go easy on my old fermentation buckets... used them once before i got some much nicer ones from the Sam's Club bakery!

p.s. quality is pretty poor on these pics.. seems that my camera is always running out of batteries when im trying to take some pics for hbt!

go easy on my old fermentation buckets... used them once before i got some much nicer ones from the Sam's Club bakery!
No way, I think that square fermentation is cool and very British.

:confused:

If you have male flowers, then you have no cones on that plant. Not sure what you saw, but I hope it wasn't male flowers.

Nah, I have a couple plants that throw a handful of male flowers in amongst the cones every year. It's a bit of a nuisance pulling them as they appear but I haven't had a seeded cone yet.

I've never seen hermaphrodite hop plants before (I know it happens in cannabis). Did not know it was even possible. Are you certain that's what you're seeing?

I've never seen hermaphrodite hop plants before (I know it happens in cannabis). Did not know it was even possible. Are you certain that's what you're seeing?

It happens with cascades occasionally. I haven't had it happen but from what I can gather the male flowers are sterile.

there is a chance for many to produce some male bloom but certain varieties (zeus SERIOUS, brewers gold/bullion somewhat serious, and cascade occasionally) have shown that they can go both ways in my gardens.

this is my first year and i planted 3 rhizomes (kent goldings, centennial, cascade). after 3 weeks i have 2 ~1in bines on both centennial and kent goldings. still nothing from the cascade. after what i read on the forums i was expecting the goldings to be a late bloomer and the cascade to leave the other two plants in the dust. centennial is kicking butt though. i find it to be a strange situation..

Cascade finally broke soil about 2 days ago.. roughly 2" now. No longer worried... itl take off running in no time - if this crazy NY weather ever picks up (we have a cold front that moved in, in addition to pretty strong winds!)

I've got 6 Cascade growing. All planted at the same time. Best plant is at 3' and worst is at about 8". All are climbing the string, now.

I bought two cascade rhizomes for my first hop growing experience this year, and HopsDirect.com sent me three! So from the beginning, things were looking good. I planted them in a couple of half wine barrels with manure/potting soil mix about a month ago. Each rhizome has about 4-5 sprouts and range from 4-5 feet. They are growing up some nylon mason twine that I hung on the fence. Yesterday alone, one of the bines grew around 3".

Back