American Amber Ale Caramel Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it with S-04 at around 62 degrees. Went with .5oz at 60 and .5oz at 30 on the chinook. I am shooting for a little less dry with the S-04 vs. S-05. Will let you know how it turns out!

I tried it with S-04 at around 62 degrees. Went with .5oz at 60 and .5oz at 30 on the chinook. I am shooting for a little less dry with the S-04 vs. S-05. Will let you know how it turns out!

I did the same with the hop reduction, but first wort hopped and stuck with S-05. She's in the bucket around 66F right now.

my 10 day gravity reading was 1.020, still has a bit to go I think but tastes very clean, obviously still a little sweet, hops certainly not overpowering.

Hello I chose this as my first all grain it was so much fun everything went smoothly I did 2 batch sparges ended up with 7.75gal preboil. 5.5 gal went into fermenter at an og of1.050 can't believe how those numbers worked out perfect. I ran a efficiency calculator and looks like 78%. That was based on OG fermenter volume.

I chose not to make the syrup although I hope to someday could not find affordable beet sugar our local brew store has premade Belgian candy amber syrup

Airlock is bubbling away

It's going to be a winner!
Hope you used that expensive Belgian candy sugar.
Pricy but worth it until you figure out how to make it.
Looks easy, just need to do it.
I need to do it too!

I want to brew this next weekend so I went ahead and tried to make this syrup with the LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient. I followed the OP instructions exactly. I live at 6288 feet above sea level so I used the high altatude instructions and cooked too 240 degrees. I got syrup but no color. I ended up cooking to 250 degrees and still just a slight bit of color. I cooled the syrup and it basically hardened to a chewy consistancy. It was not liquid any longer but thick. Im going to buy the DAP and try again as that is the only thing that I can think of that changed my attempt.

Can anybody tell me how bitter this beer is? The recipe sounds very interesting but I am not big on very bitter beers.

I served it last year at a Superbowl party with a bunch of BMC drinkers and the keg was gone before the game was over. It is well balanced. No one complained that it was too bitter.

The trick at least for me was to add your water right after the boil. That keeps it a "syrup" like consistency. I boiled my sugar up to 280 which gave it a nice dark color using yeast Nutrient and a teaspoon of lemon juice.

My LHBS had amber Belgian syrup. This beer looks amazing. Been four weeks in primary. Going to cold crash in a keg for a couple weeks then carbonate for three weeks. Used a Pacman yeast cake. Excited about this one

On CO2 last night and tasting really good not fully carbed yet. Camel taste is there giving it a full favored beer. Very pleasing but not over powering taste.

It's not particularly bitter. I think I've decided that this brew just doesn't fit with my preferences. I tend to like big hoppy or malty beers. This is not either. So now I give it to friends who like mellow beers and drink my other brews.

Brian, I'm going to brew a batch of this in a couple of days. I've never used gelatin could you fill me in on how to use it? Thanks!

Brian, I'm going to brew a batch of this in a couple of days. I've never used gelatin could you fill me in on how to use it? Thanks!

Add half a packet of knox unflavored gelatin (or whatever you get from the homebrew shop) to about 4 fluid ounces of cold, filtered water. Let it sit for like 10-15 minutes to dissolve and hydrate. Then heat the mixture up to approximately 170-180 degrees F to pastuerize, but be sure not to let it boil. Then pull it off the heat and let it cool slightly before adding it to the beer to be cleared. I like to add it to a carboy and rack beer from the primary over it to be sure it gets mixed in. Then let it settle for a few days and you'll have clear beer. The cooler you can let it rest, the more of the chill-haze I find it removes. Good luck!

Brian, thanks for the quick reply & info I really appreciate it. I'm a big fan of amber ales and I think this is one is going to be awesome. What is a good target temp to reach before adding the gelatin? Again, never used it before so I don't want to screw up the batch out of ignorance ): Thanks!

Brian, thanks for the quick reply & info I really appreciate it. I'm a big fan of amber ales and I think this is one is going to be awesome. What is a good target temp to reach before adding the gelatin? Again, never used it before so I don't want to screw up the batch out of ignorance ): Thanks!

It's probably fine to add the gelatin to the beer straight off the heat, but I always let it cool for 20-30 minutes or so first. I don't think hitting an exact temp is critical.

EDIT: and if you were asking about target temp for the beer and not the gelatin, then anything below about 45 is good. The cooler the better.

Just bought the supplies for my first non-kit and first All-grain recipe, can't wait to taste this one. Ended up buying the Belgian candi this time, wanted to simplify the process a little but I'm sure I'll probably make it next time.

Just brewed this today, had to use WLP 001. LHBS ran out of safale 05 yesterday :(

Clarity was outstanding and I nailed the OG. First time making the syrup and it was super easy! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe, I'll report back in a about 5 weeks or so(after it's bottle conditioned)

Used S04 fermented around 62. Came out great, a little more malt forward but still balanced.

Just plugged this into BS and have a question for anyone who has brewed this before. The IBUs are at the top of the scale at 40 relative to the style guidelines while the OG is at the bottom of the scale. So, does this beer come out on the hoppy/bitter side or is it actually malt forward with an overriding caramel flavor? Hope to brew on Sunday and was hoping to give to some friends who are not really hop fans. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

It really is a mild beer. My version wound up well-balanced and not too hoppy. Caramel is there, but not obnoxious. I actually think it's too mellow, but I am in the minority on that. And really, can you go wrong with 52 pages of people who've brewed it?

I'm going to rack today, been in primary for three weeks, and add gelatin. I was thinking about racking into the keg then I could put it in the kegarator to keep the temp down to help with clarification. I've never racked to a keg before and was wondering if this is okay to do?

Just plugged this into BS and have a question for anyone who has brewed this before. The IBUs are at the top of the scale at 40 relative to the style guidelines while the OG is at the bottom of the scale. So, does this beer come out on the hoppy/bitter side or is it actually malt forward with an overriding caramel flavor? Hope to brew on Sunday and was hoping to give to some friends who are not really hop fans. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Or you could back off the hops a little...I use 0.5 oz Chinook first wort, then another 0.5 plus 1 oz Willamette at flameout. Comes out around 23 but still has a pleasant hop flavour. Or you could go somewhere in between.

Just brewed this today, had to use WLP 001. LHBS ran out of safale 05 yesterday :(

Wyeast 1007 works great for this beer, too, I've use both S-05 and 1007 and prefer the latter. Finishes a bit less dry if you prefer a more malt-forward beer.

Back