Apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I've found some apple juice on special at a supermarket and on the ingredients list it says: reconstituted apple juice (100%), flavour, vitamin C.
Will that be suitable for making cider?

I'm guessing that any apple juice will be fine if it doesn't contain any preservatives.

I just made my first batch of Apfelwein...and I used the Members Mark Apple Juice from concentrate w/ Absorbic Acid. I added 15 oz of dextrose and used Wyeast 4028 Chateau R. It turned out fantastic. It finished dry, clean, crisp in 21 days. I had made a 5 gal batch...and had some juice leftover...so I made a 1 gal batch at the same time. I've already downed the 1 gal batch. I just poured it back into the plastic bottle that it came in and refrigerated it. I pour a cold glass...and I like it straight...or with a splash of minutemaid lemonade. Wow...refreshing!

If you're at all uncertain...you can make a 1 gal batch...and then save the yeast to pitch into a 5 gal batch if the 1 gal batch turns out really good...

I'm never going to shop at Costco or Sams club again...without checking out the Apple Juice selections... :)

I've found some apple juice on special at a supermarket and on the ingredients list it says: reconstituted apple juice (100%), flavour, vitamin C.
Will that be suitable for making cider?

Definitely yes. Search the forums for 'Apfelwein'. Its pretty popular around here.

Essentially apple juice is fine as long as it only contains juice, water, and ascorbic acid.

Just got a coupon booklet from Costco!

2$ off Mott's Apple Juice... 1 Gal Bottles 2-PACK...

Winds up being $6.19 - $2.00 = $4.19 for 2 gallons. LIMIT 3

So 6 gallons is $12.57

More apfelwein!! YAY!

yes, although I can only wonder what "flavour" is.

A related story...

I live within a mile of a large regional juice manufacturer.

Consequently, there are a number of people nearby where I live that sell plastic 55 gallon drums out of their homes. I buy plastic or steel ones for various uses at $8 a pop. They work great for recycling bins.

Anywho, I recently bought a plastic 55 gallon drum that still had the label on it. The label reads "Apple Aroma". This drum contained 55 gallons of "Apple Aroma". :D

Oh and more than a year later, it still makes my car reek of apples when I take the recycling to the recycling center. :)

Back