1/6th sanke as fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 1/6th Sanke, which is approx 5.15 gallons. Combined with Derrin's awesome sanke fermenter conversion, I am thinking this will make a great fermenter. Here is the question - can I do a 5 gallon batch? I know the headspace is small, but with a blowoff tube could I make it work?

Fermcap from what I hear is a good match for your concern. Lots on lately about keg fermenters in the search function. Too much to list, but a ton of good information.

that sounds like a great solution. I'll give it a shot this weekend. My "potential fermenter" collection has gotten out of hand - 2 10 gallon cornies, a 15.5 sanke, a 5.15 sanke and the soon to be out of use carboys.

I am doing the same with my 5.15 Gallon Sanke. But I'm using mine as a secondary after racking from my primary. Figure that by that time, I should be down to around 5 gallons.

I only use sankes as fermenters. The better bottle caps fit them. The nice part about using a 1/2bbl is the extra head space. The 6th is more of a serving keg, but sure you could use it. A fat 1/4 is more what you're looking for.

that sounds like a great solution. I'll give it a shot this weekend. My "potential fermenter" collection has gotten out of hand - 2 10 gallon cornies, a 15.5 sanke, a 5.15 sanke and the soon to be out of use carboys.

I would ferment in the 10 gallon corny, and serve out of the sixtel...Unless of course your goal is 4 gallons of finished beer after subtracting yeast cake and blowoff from 5 gallons...YMMV

I've never tried fermcap...

Back