Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlvngded

Reaction score
Just picked up Dave Miller's Homebrew Guide. While reading through the first chapter I noticed that he actually says to rack to your fermenter from your brewpot and to start the siphon with your mouth. I thought this was a big no-no. But why would he say to do it if it is so bad? I don't plan on using this technique, but was surprised he would say to do it. Thoughts?

That's an old book, I think. Even so, using a mouth to start a siphon might never contaminate, but it's not the safest method.

You're going to find tons of stuff like this: old (and not so old) books recommending things that are frowned upon by others.

Is there a newer edition of that book? I think I read it from the library and don't recall it saying that.

I really like Dave Miller's guide...don't write it off b/c of his old-school siphoning!! There's lots of other really good info there.

Who doesn't start a siphon with their mouth?? It gives you that sour, tangy taste that you love!

I haven't seen that book, but John Palmer's How to Brew 3rd Edition is excellent so far. I also have an older copy of Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing and that is also an excellent reference.

The best place to get the latest techniques, though, is right here on the forums. Maybe not quite as handy as a book you can flip through, but sometimes it pays to simply ask.

Back