Saranac blows

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
Saranac Irish Red Ale is f'n disgusting. Grainy grassy aroma, atstringent taste that leaves a burning sensation in the back of my throat.

Saranac hasnt made anything I like. Don't they also use the same yeast every time?

Back when I was in Western New York 6+ years ago, Saranac had some really quality stuff. I remember really enjoying their IPA, but do not recall the Irish Red. I recently tried an Irish Red from Michelob and it was not very good. But then again... it WAS Michelob.

I drink Saranac all the time and like it alot. It and Sams are are my daily commercial beers to have on hand. That said haven't had the Irish red yet.

+1 Beerpressure.

I just bought Saranac's mixed six pack (Trail Mix) and the only one that was even passable was the Black and Tan. The lager, Brown Ale, Pale and IPA were terrible. All of them had an astringent, almost medical taste to them.

Saranac Pale Ale and Black Forest are awesome. The lager is terrible...and lets not mention the experiment that was DAX Light

I had a Saranac Vanilla Stout that wasn't bad, many people said they couldn't taste the Vanilla in it but it was pretty prevalent in the brew. It wasn't bad but was a bit overcarb'd I thought, although I did drink it a bit warmer than I would normally (Around 50-55 degrees).

I've never had a Saranac that I really enjoyed either. Never really tried to figure out what it was that I didn't like about it. I haven't had one since I started brewing and really started paying attention to the different aspects of a beer.

I am not a Saranac fan either but I did have one about two years ago, that I liked, Ocean City, MD. I think it was Pomegranate Wheat if I remember correctly.

I think all of their beers taste fake, like chemically altered beer. Its hard to describe but that what I have thought whenever I tried them.

ugh, the Pomegranate Wheat is terrible, just terrible.

My room mate in college came up with an acronym for Saranac
Some
Ales
Really
Are
Nasty
A$$
Cheese
He was a little bitter b/c we were having a competition on who can acquire more of one brewers beers, he had Sam Adams and I had Saranac. He chose poorly b/c Saranac has more beers than Sam does plus we went to Syracuse Univeristy...I win!!!

hmm maybe because saranacs brewery is 15 minutes from me but i like saranac and everyone i know likes the irish red lol, maybe were used to the water here idk, their imperial ipa is really good too. alot of people who dont like beer or like fruity beer like the pomegranate wheat but i dont like it much. i think Seasons best is really good too. Yeah i agree with the above, decent but not great.

Did anyone else have their bohemian pilsner in the winter sampler?

The bohemian pilsner is the best beer out of the sampler, IMO.

Saranac makes decent beer - for people that want something better than the standard BMC. And considering their customer base isn't exactly the type that wants strongly flavored or hoppy beers, they do a good job of producing a wide range of beer styles that aren't all that bad.

Though I really like their schwarzbier.

I like Saranac. Their new Imperial series is great. I've had the Imperial IPA and Imperial Stout. Both were excellent.

I agree, the imp ipa blew me away i didnt expect it to compare to any others but boy did it, its one of my favs, of course i love 90 min dfh more tho

The only thing worse than Sarnac is Abita. Well, maybe not. They're both pretty damn bad.

I've bought 2 12-packs of their sampler mix and I thought they were nasty. I don't know why I bought the second 12-pack (maybe I was hoping the first was a fluke), but I won't be buying them again.

I've never had a problem that I remember drinking a Saranac. We've bought the mixed 12 pack twice. None stand out in memory as being great, but none stand out in memory as being undrinkable either. Kinda like a Sam's mixer - Cherry wheat and cranberry lambic. Nothing WONDERFUL, nothing Horrible. Beside the above mentioned 2 :D

im not a huge saranac fan even though i grew up a short 15-16 miles from the brewery. i do like the irish red though, one of the few i will actually finish a 6 pack of. most of their beer does have a similar taste, not sure what it is but there is something similar about them all.

I agree that there is something similar. You can tell when its a Saranac, maybe they do that on purpose idk. Its not great but its more respectable than any BMC, IMO

I don't mind Saranac beers. I've always found them decent. Not great, and not really something I'm going to seek out, but I think they put out a good product for a fairly large brewery - for a fairly reasonable price. I think of them as a first step for a BMC drinker looking to branch out.

Dundee, yuck! Ill pass on the quarter drafts of honey brown that leave you toilet bound in the morning... damn you honey brown.

Economy crafts, just slightly better than the Dundee line...

i think a bit more than slightly better than dundee. i bought a mixed 12 of dundee figuring if they suck at least i can use the bottles, stupid twist offs!

I used to love the mixed 12 of dundee! It was back before I homebrewed and I haven't had it since but I was a really big fan of sampler packs and I tried as many as I could get my hands on. The dundee was super cheap and I liked it.

I bought a keg of Saranac Amber for my last day of college classes a few years back. As I recall, it was 5 dollars more than a keg of Bud Light and definitely, definitely worth it.

Of course, most of my house mates were disappointed that I bought a "dark" beer, so they went out and got a few 30 racks of Keystone. C'est la vie.

I used to like their Black Forest a lot, but I haven't had it in a while.

I bought a mixed 12-pack a couple months ago and was very disappointed that absolutely everything in it tasted the same, from the Vanilla Stout all the way through to the IPA. They were all overly bitter, in my opinion.

Back