Cold crashing and then bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willangus

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about cold crashing my current brew after a week in secondary to try and get more clarity in the beer. The way I understand it is that by cold crashing the beer you hope to get everything to drop out of solution and sink to the bottom, clearing the beer.

But won't this remove the yeast from the beer, meaning the beer won't carbonate in the bottle?

I've done several brews before, but have always been disappointed with the clarity of them, so want to give cold crashing a try.

Also, how long should I cold crash it for? A day? A few days?

I think cold crashing is usually used for force carbonation. The most important part in cold crashing is the cold. Preferably, you should slowly reduce the temp down to about 38 degrees. Ideally about three degrees a day, this will make sure that few yeasties will be harmed in the process. It's tough to do that without a temp regulator, though.

Cold crashing is not really about getting clear beer, it's about reducing suspended sediment so you get less in the bottle or keg. Given enough time, the yeast will drop out regardless of how much there is.

Using Whirlfloc in the boil was the most efficacious thing I have done to get clear beer.

So I'm thinking about cold crashing my current brew after a week in secondary to try and get more clarity in the beer. The way I understand it is that by cold crashing the beer you hope to get everything to drop out of solution and sink to the bottom, clearing the beer.

But won't this remove the yeast from the beer, meaning the beer won't carbonate in the bottle?
No, there really are loads of yeasties in the beer. A couple of days' cold crashing will help proteins and other particulate matter to sink to the bottom, along with some of the yeast, but there'll still be enough yeast left for carbonation.

For better clarity, I've found irish moss makes a big difference, as does leaving the beer in the fridge for a few days before drinking.

I am going to try Cold Crashing my Irish Red tonight in my new brewing fridge and then bottle it on Saturday. Then i can start my lager!!

I typically cold crash for 3 days. On the night of the 3rd day I pull the secondary out to warm up. I haven't had any trouble with bottles carbing up. :mug:

Latest posts

Back