Dog Tag Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotspurdotus

Reaction score
After labeling my first batch of bottles, I knew I needed a different solution.

I saw this thread on hang tags and gave them a shot. They didn't work for me, but now the wheels were spinning and I hit on an idea that is working for me.

Dog tags! They are simple, sturdy, and reusable. I print out the labels on removable adhesive stickers and secure them with twine. For a full 5 gallon batch I only need around 10 tags; 3 or 4 suffice when I'm just bottling a gallon.

Here are a few pics; let me know what you think.

IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

Very cool. I've been using the tax-stamp style label, but your idea is even simpler - and even better - no gluing to the bottle!

Where did you get the tags (the metal bits, not the stickers)?

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator:
The dog tags are a great idea. Why not go for the whole look. you can get #3 ball and chain in a bulk spool of 50 feet for around $15 and 100 connectors for about $7. It's a bit more cost but it would be a way cool look!

This are by far the coolest label I've ever seen! Do you find that they're falling off or that people are taking them with them? It actually would be a really good souvenier for visitors... "collect all of our dog tags to win a free beer" or something. Just an idea.

The dog tags are a great idea. Why not go for the whole look. you can get #3 ball and chain in a bulk spool of 50 feet for around $15 and 100 connectors for about $7. It's a bit more cost but it would be a way cool look!

I thought about using the ball chain, but I wasn't going for a military theme so I chose the sissel twine instead.

It would be a sharp look for a military theme, which is ripe for good beer names; Corporal Kolsch, Lieutenant Lager, etc.

This are by far the coolest label I've ever seen! Do you find that they're falling off or that people are taking them with them? It actually would be a really good souvenier for visitors... "collect all of our dog tags to win a free beer" or something. Just an idea.

The tags are very secure. I don't have much traffic so none of them have gone missing, they are mostly for (1) identifying beers in the cupboard and (2) my own vanity.

I intend to keep one tag from each batch I've bottled to display. The rest I'll recycle.

Tags look great.

Usually some nuance in naming is worth the effort. The alliterative names can sometimes come off cheesy.

Looks like I will finally start labeling my beers. I love the thought of souvenirs for friends/family and being able to save a tag from each batch for personal chronicling. I keg mostly but when I brew for people I have wished that my beer was presented better and this would be a great way for them to also remember the beer itself, not just the act.

Back