Kettle Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
So here is where I stand right now. I am saving up to make a brewstand and I'm at a crossroads. A guy is willing to plasma cut off the top of these kegs, clean them up, weld in 1/2" NPT tubes, one male and one female (for valve, and thermometer). He will charge $130 a piece for all this work, including keg. I attached a pic of the three he will be using. They are in great shape, minus the dried on grass he rolled them though :D

So... should i get these and basically be at $190 per kettle (with keg, work, valve, and thermometer) or save up and buy blichmann or polarware kettles? Granted the MLT will cost a little more for me because I will have to buy a false bottom.

I will also be purchasing a blichmann top tier to use these on, so will they be to tall? Any thoughts, guidance, rants, are welcome!

KeithKeg2.jpg

KeithKeg1.jpg

I have a converted keg I use for my BK and I would trade it in a heartbeat for a real kettle. I would go with a Polarware or Megapot. I have a 10 gal Polarware MT w/FB and it is my absolute favorite piece of brewing equipment. A 15 gal Polarware is in my future upgrade plans. I like the clad bottom on the Megapots, but I don't like the weldless valve. I would prefer a kettle a few gauges heavier than the Blichmann. Those seem very thin. I also don't like the dip tube arrangement on the Blichmanns. OTOH, converted kegs do work and they are nearly indestructible. My main objection to them are the concave bottom, the weight and the bottom skirt which retains heat long after flame out.

So is Blichmann the only one that provides welded connections for valve, thermometer, etc? I also like the welded connections, I currently have a 20g aluminum pot with a weldless valve, and it only leaked once, but once was enough.

So is Blichmann the only one that provides welded connections for valve, thermometer, etc? I also like the welded connections, I currently have a 20g aluminum pot with a weldless valve, and it only leaked once, but once was enough.

No, the Blickmann's and the Megapots both have weldless fittings. The Polarware is available with welded ports or no ports if desired. There are other kettles available, but those are the ones I am most familiar with.

I just used my 20 gallon BoilerMakers yesterday, and all I can say is that I am glad I switched from the heavy keggles....The BoilerMakers are super nice, the false bottom is excellent and the HopBlocker seems to work great. The dip tube is nice, removable for easy cleaning. The sight class works like it should.

This is a first impression that I have of the BoilerMakers.

I guess the only thing that is holding me back on the blinkmann's is buy the time I buy two 15 gallon pots for HLT, MLT, and a 20 gallon kettle. Plus false bottom, I'm over $1,000

Yes, I have three 20 gallon BoilerMakers and paid about $1400 including false bottom and HopBlocker. Pricey, but they are nice.

I know the guy you are talking about. I bought a keg with 1 welded fitting from him and love it. He does good work. I would think about finding a few cheap kegs on CL and have him cut and weld them for you. It might save a few bucks. If you want to get together for a brew day sometime let me know, I live in Paloma Creek.

I know the guy you are talking about. I bought a keg with 1 welded fitting from him and love it. He does good work. I would think about finding a few cheap kegs on CL and have him cut and weld them for you. It might save a few bucks. If you want to get together for a brew day sometime let me know, I live in Paloma Creek.

Awesome!
Let me know the next time you plan on brewing. Last weekend I did a 10g batch of Haus Pale Ale. So now I have 25g of fermenting beer, and SWMBO said to cool my jets :drunk:

Back