Moving Apfelwein from one fermenter to another?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St. Jon's Wort

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein in a plastic bucket fermenter for three days now and want to transfer it to a better bottle so that I can use the plastic fermenter for a new beer recipe I came across. Is this something that can be done safely or will I risk ruining the batch by moving it?

I was just going to buy another plastic fermenting bucket but the homebrew store was completely out and all they had were better bottles.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

You are fine. Move it and let it ferment out. Then let it sit a year, you will have something drinkable with a hint of apple flavor.

dont mind brandon, he has a bit of a.. negative view on apfelwein..
I think its because it supposed to take about a year to fully develop flavor and then when it does its a bit subtle... so he came up with his own recipe.

Brandons Graff recipe is next on my list... and from everyones reviews, this is THE apple drink for apple lovers. but im still going to age my current apfelwein and give it a go..

curious, how do you get something drinkable in 6weeks? as said, apfelwein -usually- takes about 8months to a year before its alcohol has mellowed and the apple comes through...

do you mind posting your procedure and ingredient list? are you back sweetening? what is your OG and FG, approx abv? which yeast and sugar are you using?.. sorry for the 3rd degree but inquiring minds and all :D

I meant 6 weeks in primary - per Ed's recipe and it tastes great. we bottle after 6 weeks and let it sit in th ebottles a minimum of 21 days at room temp. So, after 9 weeks we have something that is drinkable. As for the starting and final O.G, we don't bother with Apfelwein because we find that following this time line always yields a similar flavor, which is something we like, a dry apple wine with high ABV.

I will say that we startedout using thed red montracet per Ed's recipe but we have graduated to champagne yeast - we just like the flavor a bit more.

I have seen Brandon's recipe and it is interesting and we may take a stab at it.

Back