will a freezer work for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turfguy1969

Reaction score
I have a temperature controller which will keep the temps wherever I want. Will a freezer keep kegs, lagering carboys, yeast containers above freezing. This seems a silly thought, but is there some disadvantage to using this set up? Many have extra refridgerators i'm sure. Wouldn't the increased insulation on a freezer actually keep the compressor from running as much at your temperature selection? I would think a fridge would have to run more? Don't know which to buy. I already have a little dorm fridge working with lagering buckets. thanks for the help

Freezers on temperature controllers are the PREFERRED way to lager. Many refridgerators won't quite get cold enough to do the job, or they will have to run a lot to keep right at/above the freezing point, as you suggest.

Lots of people use freezers. They offer a greater capacity that most fridges. Hook up that controller and get lagering.

Back