Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inthebackwoods

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed an all grain coffee stout today (Sunday). OG 1.096. I made a White Labs yeast starter (British Ale) on Friday (2 days ago). I made a QT starter with 1 QT water and 1 cup of Light DME. I cooled to fermentation temp and put the starter in a gallon glass jug, pitched the yeast and put an airlock on. I have no stir plate. I noticed minimal bubbling action on Saturday, but not a whole lot. By Sunday, sediment was caked up at the bottom of the gallon jug. I brewed the coffee stout and cooled to fermentation temp (72F), and when I went to pitch the starter, I shook to release the caked up sediment at the bottom of the jug. I pitched and the chunks of sediment cake are floating atop my fermenting beer. I know it's too early to know how the yeast will fair, but I plan on keeping a close eye on the airlock in the coming days to make sure fermentation is going as planned. Should I be worried? I made a yeast starter once before and had no issues. Last time I made a PT starter and put it in a QT jug. I think the gallon jug may have been too big and that's why I didn't see much activity. Should I be concerned?

I probably would have made a bigger starter for that big of a beer....but I think it will be just fine.

I probably would have made a bigger starter for that big of a beer....but I think it will be just fine.

Think I should get another vial of WLP005 and pitch to make up for the smaller starter? Would you have recommended a 1/2 gal starter for it or bigger?

Will probably be fine, but have you ever consulted Mr Malty yeast pitching calculator? If not, it's an invaluable free online tool that many or most of us use.

Will probably be fine, but have you ever consulted Mr Malty yeast pitching calculator? If not, it's an invaluable free online tool that many or most of us use.

No, I haven't used it, but have seen it a couple times. Maybe I'll use that to help calculate for next time. I spoke too soon on this thread, my airlock is heavily bubbling away this morning! Looks like it should be good to go.

For that big of a beer, a 2 liter starter would be good. That said, you'll probably be just fine. If you're looking for a good priced stir plate (can increase cell count 20 fold), check out www.stirstarters.com - $42 and they work great!!

For that big of a beer, a 2 liter starter would be good. That said, you'll probably be just fine. If you're looking for a good priced stir plate (can increase cell count 20 fold), check out www.stirstarters.com - $42 and they work great!!

Thanks for the tip. I haven't seen any stir plates at that price! Another investment towards brewing good beer :mug:

Latest posts

Back