Transplanting hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrally

Reaction score
The area I want to plant my hops won't be accessible till next year. Is there any point to planting rhizomes this year to get them started and then transplanting next year to their final home?

Or am I better off just waiting till next year?

With my limited hop knowledge, I'm going to say plant now and transplant next year. You could even start in large plastic bins and transplant everything into the ground next year. From what I've read, First year rhizome growth is mainly root establishment with little to no cone production. Second year growth is really where the plants take off. You're going to want to develop a healthy root ball from the rhizome asap and whatever cones you get this year will be bonus. Next year you will be ready with healthy plants to really start the hop farming.

Yep, go ahead and plant them in a big 'o pot. You'll be surprised how much that little rhizome will grow by the following year, and how much stronger the plant will be. Also, the seem to be quite hearty when it comes to digging them up and replanting them...

Hops rhizomes a hardier than you would expect. I moved my first rhizomes 3 times in 4 years and now that they are in their final resting place I was rewarded with 22' vines, and I harvested around 4Lb of dried hops last year. Don't worry they'll be fine.

www.smartpots.com is a good way to go if you want to peel it off later to transplant. They are perenial, meaning you can plant now to increase their root mass and the above ground plant will die back each year or should be cut back. Think of it like a tulip, they are planted once as a bulb and come back each year. I'd suggest probably putting them in a 25 gallon container if you can't water it all the time. It will need water. I'd also suggest you add a layer of mulch 4" thick or so to keep it moist for longer during the summer, pots need more water than in the ground.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have a open field to plant the hops this year and I'll set up a trellis for them. I'll stick them in the ground as I have lots of great dirt/space.

Next year I'll move them closer to the house so watering and maintenance will be easier.

Back