Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez. Can't you be watching everything, all the time, every night???

:p

Believe it or not, I did check that dudes other posts. We've had lots of that kind of thing here. The first one I looked at looked totally legit. I did a search in the same thread to see if he had copy/pasted and got no hits. He had posts dating back months.

Anyway, the mods react very quickly around here to reports, so don't ever hesitate to hit that button for the smallest thing. Thanks.

Thinking about doing a big Mexican meal on Sunday. My plan is on Saturday I'll smoke a rack of ribs for dinner, and a Boston Butt which will be fried on Sunday for carnitas.
Should be awfully tasty :D

I've seen this kind of spam on blogs. To make it not look like spam, they copy an existing comment so it looks like it's legit, but then embed their spammy link into the post.

One of the mods should delete and ban... I'd bet dollars to donuts the rest of that user's comments follow the same pattern...

So is it like looking into the sun, or crossing the streams what happens if you clicked on his post? I'm new to this whole Internet forum thing. I'm pretty sure I clicked on it to see if he really was copying other peoples comments. Do I need to get my bore punched now or get a scrip for a Z pack now am I obligated to let girls know now. I'm so lost and confused

Going to do some baby backs for dinner with some cornbread and some tomato volcanoes for lunch on Monday.

Smoking a Boston Butt for tomorrow's get together. Marinaded in OJ overnight and rubbed with a sweet spicy spice blend.
Nothing like a spicy Mexican butt rub first thing in the morning :ban:

This is the first smoke with any real temperature control. Good news is I figured out why my meat was coming out drier than I wanted, but the bad news is I can't seem to get my smoker to stay cool enough. Opening the door is a temporary solution that only works for about 15 minutes, and if I turn if off the temp drops like a lead balloon.
Ended up filling a meat loaf pan with ice and tossing it in the smoker hoping to absorb some heat. I'll replace it every few hours I think.

I think I am going to stuff a chicken breast with hatch peppers and monterey jack, wrap it in bacon, and throw it on the WSM.

Not sure if I ought to brine or not before I slice & pound out the chicken breast, though.

I think I am going to stuff a chicken breast with hatch peppers and monterey jack, wrap it in bacon, and throw it on the WSM.

Not sure if I ought to brine or not before I slice & pound out the chicken breast, though.

If you pull it off at 155-160, you shouldn't need to brine it. Any higher temp, and it will dry out

I consulted my copy of Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, which I highly recommend, and the consensus cited therein suggested that brining would produce a much tastier poultry. The real debate among those folk was whether or not to use Cure #1 in the brine, and just what level of salinity is best. The range varied from around 5.5% (from the FDA and others) up to over 10% from some sources.

I ended up opting to use Cure #1 in a relatively light ~5.5% brine.

Long time since I fired up the smoker. I put five pre seasoned/brined chickens on. Lazy I guess.
img_20140830_160557_445-63677.jpg

Daughter's 6th Bday party today.
7.5# Boston butt.

Coming along quite nicely.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409498517.193479.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Chicken experiment came out pretty good. I also took before and after pics...
I

Looks great! How long did you smoke it for? I can't imagine cure being needed for chicken unless you smoked it at a really low temp for a long time (which I wouldn't do with chicken or bacon anyway...)

Hatch chiles are great with chicken. I found some really hot ones this year. Thinking about saving the seeds for the garden

Looks great! How long did you smoke it for? I can't imagine cure being needed for chicken unless you smoked it at a really low temp for a long time (which I wouldn't do with chicken or bacon anyway...)

It was on the smoker for about 2.5 hours after brining for about 4. The chicken turned out great, although I had a couple places where cheese gooped out. I think that the next time I do something like this, I'll make more of a pre-cooked mirepoix with the stuffing rather than the rough chop I did this time to make them easier to eat when they're finished.

Second attempt at Tri-tip, third overall. Finally got temps stabilized, and a whole lot less rub. Think I got
it this time. Temps ran from 225 to 275, no higher, no lower. Hit 145 IT at 3 hours, wrapped it loose foil for 1.5 hours, 175 IT. Juicy as anything, amazing flavor. NOW I'll try the butt again, and probably going to try a brisket. Got half a steer coming in about 3 weeks. I Feel I can do it justice now. Lol
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409525024.443415.jpg

Sent from my BrewPhone using Home Brew, cuz I really didn't want to fire up the computer to post this.

175 IT on a tri-tip? Surprised it remained juicy...

I did one on the grill today. Indirect @ 250 until IT of 115, then seared hard at high heat until IT of 135-140, wrapped in foil and rested for 30 minutes.

14%2B-%2B5

14%2B-%2B6

BTW it was juicy, but the pic on the plate I dipped the slices in the juice in the foil just prior to plating, so it looks *extra* juicy there.

I consulted my copy of Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, which I highly recommend, and the consensus cited therein suggested that brining would produce a much tastier poultry. The real debate among those folk was whether or not to use Cure #1 in the brine, and just what level of salinity is best. The range varied from around 5.5% (from the FDA and others) up to over 10% from some sources.

I ended up opting to use Cure #1 in a relatively light ~5.5% brine.

Be careful brining birds. Many are pre brined. If the bird says enhanced, self basting, or such it is already brined. Its their way of getting you to pay a buck and some change for salt water. So if you are not careful you can get a really salty bird out of brining an already brined bird.

175 IT on a tri-tip? Surprised it remained juicy...

I did one on the grill today. Indirect @ 250 until IT of 115, then seared hard at high heat until IT of 135-140, wrapped in foil and rested for 30 minutes.

BTW it was juicy, but the pic on the plate I dipped the slices in the juice in the foil just prior to plating, so it looks *extra* juicy there.

oh, yeah, incredibly juicy. I was quite satisfied with results. Now, as for repeatability....lol we shall see.

Those of you who make your own slab bacon, are there any downfalls to having a belly without the skin compared to one with? I ordered the pink salt and the charcuterie cookbook to try my hand at this technique but realized from what I've seen most have pork bellies with the skin peeled off after the smoke. I have a 14lb belly in the freezer but it's skinless.

Those of you who make your own slab bacon, are there any downfalls to having a belly without the skin compared to one with? I ordered the pink salt and the charcuterie cookbook to try my hand at this technique but realized from what I've seen most have pork bellies with the skin peeled off after the smoke. I have a 14lb belly in the freezer but it's skinless.

Not at all. It brines/cures quicker, and less prep work before slicing. The only downside is if you had planned on making chicharrons

I do mine without the skin and it comes out great, in fact I've never done it with the skin on

Back