Adding coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyzo

Reaction score
OK, so I brewed up Jamil's hazelnut porter about a week ago, and I'm planning on letting it go for another week in the primary until bottling. His recipe calls for some hazelnut extract, but no stores around here have that, and I kind of wanted to experiment with some hazelnut coffee I found. It is some whole bean coffee that you grind yourself in the store, so I was wondering how I could add this to the bottling bucket.
Ive been reading up on it, and it sounds like this seems like a good method, but I need some verification
Get 8oz of water, steep the crushed coffee overnight in the cold water, remove bag and heat the 8oz of now coffee extract to about 170F for 5 mins or so to sterilize, then add at bottling.
How much should I add if I just want a subtle, background hint of coffee, not a full blown coffee effect?
Thanks

Instead of adding cold steeped coffee to your beer, why not go straight to the source and steep the coffe IN the beer. Let it go a day, then pull the bag once you hit the level of coffee you want.

OK, thanks. I'm just really worried about having too strong a coffee flavor, because I really just want it to be a background hint, since the chocolate flavor is what Im going for

I currently have a vanilla coffee imperial stout going. I did the coffee addition by brewing 6 shots of espresso, cooling and adding at secondary with the vanilla bean. I let the secondary go for one week, then kegged for cold conditioning in a 55* wine cellar. At time of kegging the coffee was Very dominant, but after two weeks in the keg it has droped back and the vanilla is starting to show through. I will let this one age for a couple months yet before tapping.

I add cracked whole beans directly to secondary in a small tea bag. Two or three teabags worth of coffee should be enough to give the subtle hint of coffee in a five gallon batch.

Why not go with a pound of Chocolate Malt and a half pound of Special Dark malt instead of coffee beans themselves?

Hmm. Ok, I think Ill try that amercuric, with the tea bag method. My HBS has these little steeping bags that only hold about a pound of grain, so ill probably use one of those. So Ill probably just throw that in the day before bottling, how many oz's of coffee would you guys reccommend? and so I dont have to worry about sanitizing anything?

The only way you can be sure you won't have to sanitize anything is to brew the coffee, cool it then add it directly. as far as how much for teabagging, with a med/fine grind, a brew buddy of mine uses 3 oz for his porter. He sterilizes it in a cup of whiskey and adds it in secondary and lets it sit for 7 to 10 days

Back