New. What should I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobblehead2205

Reaction score
So I am going to start brewing beer soon. But i dont know what style i should make. I started looking and found that there are a lof of varieties. I haven't tried many varieties really. Most of you will probably laugh at me for what i say that i have tried variety wise but given my age it shouldnt be to much of a shock. I have had and enjoy Coors Light mostly. Bud Light is also pretty decent. I had a few swigs around Thanksgiving of one i cant remember the brand...but the flavor was called Brrr. I wasnt to particularly fond of the taste of it. It was a dark beer...tasted somewhat like ear wax to me. I have heard of many flavors (i.e. honey beer) that sounds appealing. So again...my question..where should i start?
Thanks!

So I am going to start brewing beer soon. But i dont know what style i should make. I started looking and found that there are a lof of varieties. I haven't tried many varieties really. Most of you will probably laugh at me for what i say that i have tried variety wise but given my age it shouldnt be to much of a shock. I have had and enjoy Coors Light mostly. Bud Light is also pretty decent. I had a few swigs around Thanksgiving of one i cant remember the brand...but the flavor was called Brrr. I wasnt to particularly fond of the taste of it. It was a dark beer...tasted somewhat like ear wax to me. I have heard of many flavors (i.e. honey beer) that sounds appealing. So again...my question..where should i start?
Thanks!

I would suggest finding a store where they will let you mix and match a six pack. Get 6 beers (ales) you've never had before and drink one of them a night. If you have to have more than one, buy an additional 6'er of your go-to beer and drink those instead. Point being, some of them could have very different flavor profiles that may intrude on the others and you won't get the full taste. After you've done that and you've decided on a style you like do some research on extract with steeping grains kits and pick out one that you think you will enjoy.

Sounds like you've had almost all American Light Lagers.

You might want to go out to your nearest beer supplier and try a few different ales to see what you like. Once you have a feel for a few different styles you enjoy, we can help you out with some of the specific flavors you like until you develop your pallate a bit further.

Not sure what local beers you have out there, but maybe someone from your area can point you in the right direction.

Sounds like you've had almost all American Light Lagers.

You might want to go out to your nearest beer supplier and try a few different ales to see what you like. Once you have a feel for a few different styles you enjoy, we can help you out with some of the specific flavors you like until you develop your pallate a bit further.

Not sure what local beers you have out there, but maybe someone from your area can point you in the right direction.

Actually around here we have a lot of microbrews and lots of styles. Are there any particular in regards to what you know about my pallet that you might suggest to try first?

FYI - as a new homebrewer, I would strongly advise you against lagering.

Maybe someone from the NW can chime in and suggest some brews, but a few nationally distributed beers that a homebrewing beginner can duplicate in style are Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Redhook ESB, and Fat Tire Ale from New Belgium Brewing. As Smug Mug mentioned, lagering is a process that is more labor and equipment intensive and should be avoided by beginners.

So I am going to start brewing beer soon. Most of you will probably laugh at me for what i say that i have tried variety wise but given my age it shouldnt be to much of a shock. Thanks!

Bobble, nobody's every gonna laugh at you here (unless you tell a good joke or something). Many people on this site started just where you are, and that is a great thing.
Like the others have said, try a bit of variety in the form of mixing up some 6 packs, that is a great start.

Post your questions, and better yet, use the search at the top of the page and you will find that many questions that you have, have been discussed.

Cheers! :mug:

Actually around here we have a lot of microbrews and lots of styles. Are there any particular in regards to what you know about my pallet that you might suggest to try first?

I'd start off with some American Pale Ales and try to compare them to American India Pale Ales (IPAs). This will give you an idea of your hop threshold. Stouts and Nut Browns can be compared to determine the level of roastiness you like.

As I mentioned, I'm not familiar with specifics out there, but if you say:

"I liked the pale ale, but the IPA was a bit too much"

You'll know that you're ok with hops, but not heavy hops.

Try to read the bottles and identify the tastes mentioned on them. For instance if a Nut Brown says it has caramel and nut flavors, try to pick them out and compare to a stout that might have chocolate undertones.

You'll quickly learn what styles suit you and what flavors you want to brew with and it will be the most fun you've ever had learning!

I suggest getting a sampler pack of Sam Adams' lineup or I don't know if they sell any Great Lakes brews where you are but they are awesome.

or go to a restaurant/bar and ask what they have and pick one you've never heard of and ask what style it is or get the name and ask here more than likely someone here can tell you what style it is, just so you get to know what styles you like (other than the big brewery products).

Sampler packs are great when you can find them, and I promise if you don't like one of the beers in the pack you will ALWAYS find someone who either likes it or gets drunk and doesn't know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back