Homemade specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

Reaction score
Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher, is probably the best book on brewing I've ever seen. It has great info on the history of beer styles, great recipes, and is a hilarious read. I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves making beer and making stuff for making beer.

On that note, I'm preparing to make a couple recipes out of the book, and so I thought I would try out his instructions for making my own specialty grains for those beers.

I made an amber malt, which is approximately 65ºL and a brown malt at about 175ºL. I used Maris Otter for the grain. I figure I'm going to be making english style ales, so why not use the best english malt.

The amber malt is soaked in water for about 1hr, spread in a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 350º for 30 min.

Here it is before:
amberbefore.JPG

And then after:
amberafter.JPG

The color is a lot different on the outside, but it should provide some nice color once milled and mashed. This stuff popped like crazy in the oven. It sounded like popcorn towards the end. It also smelled great; like wort in the kettle.

The brown malt is not soaked first. You just put it on the sheet and bake at 450º for 50min.
brownbefore.JPG

It gets a lot more modified than the amber:
brownupclose.JPG

It was starting to stink at the end. It smells exactly like burnt popcorn, which I hate. As Mosher notes, it tastes like "it's on fire", or as Ralph Wiggins says, "it tastes like burning." It should smooth out a little overtime.

Both were then put into ziplock bags and will be stored for a minimum of two weeks before brewing with.

I'm going to use these for a Bitter and a Brown ale. I'll take pictures of those as I do them, and update this thread with them so you can see the color and my tasting notes.

Wow, this is a very cool posting. Please keep us updated. This is something I would like to try myself.

-Sumo

Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher, is probably the best book on brewing I've ever seen. It has great info on the history of beer styles, great recipes, and is a hilarious read. I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves making beer and making stuff for making beer.

On that note, I'm preparing to make a couple recipes out of the book, and so I thought I would try out his instructions for making my own specialty grains for those beers.

I made an amber malt, which is approximately 65ºL and a brown malt at about 175ºL. I used Maris Otter for the grain. I figure I'm going to be making english style ales, so why not use the best english malt.

The amber malt is soaked in water for about 1hr, spread in a cookie sheet and put in the oven at 350º for 30 min.

Here it is before:
amberbefore.JPG

And then after:
amberafter.JPG

The color is a lot different on the outside, but it should provide some nice color once milled and mashed. This stuff popped like crazy in the oven. It sounded like popcorn towards the end. It also smelled great; like wort in the kettle.

The brown malt is not soaked first. You just put it on the sheet and bake at 450º for 50min.
brownbefore.JPG

It gets a lot more modified than the amber:
brownupclose.JPG

It was starting to stink at the end. It smells exactly like burnt popcorn, which I hate. As Mosher notes, it tastes like "it's on fire", or as Ralph Wiggins says, "it tastes like burning." It should smooth out a little overtime.

Both were then put into ziplock bags and will be stored for a minimum of two weeks before brewing with.

I'm going to use these for a Bitter and a Brown ale. I'll take pictures of those as I do them, and update this thread with them so you can see the color and my tasting notes.

With the encouragement of Flyangler18, I tried this last week. The caramel grains didn't turn out like I had anticipated, but the toasted grains seemed to be similar to the grains I was attempting to mimic.

here's the link I used for guidance.

Hopefully Mrs. Jass takes the hint and purchases "Radical Brewing" for Father's day.:)

I may well get that book! I'm having great fun and a good degree of success so far at roasting my own grain (Also Maris Otter)

I'm finding the wet roasts harder and less successful than dry at the moment. It can be a bugger to get them dry sometimes withing the roasting time even with a thin spread. That was until I stopped using the gas oven and started using the convection oven part of the microwave.

I'm completely in love with the idea that if I have a sack of grain I will always be able to replicate my house recipe without having to wait on an order for some crystal malt or whatever, and I know that it will be freshly roasted. (Yeah, I ditched that two weeks in a paper bag thing and I just let it sit out a couple of days)

Home roasting FTW!!! It's fun!! :D

I made some brown malt a couple weeks ago for my wheat porter by dry roasting at 350F for about 75 minutes.....smells delicious now.

I left the grains sit out overnight so they could breath a little. I must say, they smell much better now. Last night, the had a harshness to them, something like darkly burned bread. The brown malt especially, was very bitter.

This morning, I tasted them again and they seemed to have mellowed considerably.

Beertools Pro describes them this way:

Amber malt:This material has a light, biscuity dry flavour and can be used to produce some Bitter and Mild Ales and sweet Stouts in the UK, as well as the traditional London Porters that have come back into favour recently. The flavour is quite intense and caution in the use of this material is required.

Brown malt:Mild coffee, bitter flavor.

I would say that those descriptions are apt. I will brew with the amber malt on June 14th. I'll post more pics and an update then.

I brewed this beer today. I took some pictures of the whole thing. The homemade amber malt tastes a lot better now. It has smoothed out and has a clean nut and biscuit taste. I'll update again in a month or so with tasting notes.

Tire-Biter Bitter
8-C Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 79.39%
Attenuation: 72.0%
Calories: 180.59 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.048 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.016)
Color: 14.25 (6.0 - 18.0)
Alcohol: 5.1% (4.6% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 35.5 (30.0 - 50.0)

Ingredients:
8.0 lb Maris Otter
1.0 lb Amber Malt
0.5 lb Victory® Malt
0.5 lb Turbinado
.75 oz Northern Brewer (10.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.25 oz Northern Brewer (10.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Willamette (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
2.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale

00:03:00 mash in - Liquor: 3.56 gal; Strike: 165.24 °F; Target: 154 °F
01:03:00 sacc rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 153.4 °F
01:13:00 sparge - Untitled Sparge: 2.12 gal sparge @ 180.0 °F, 10 min; Total Runoff: 4.68 gal

.5lb turbinado
IMG_4672.jpg

Northern Brewer and Willamette hops from HopsDirect.com
IMG_4674.jpg

Milled grain
IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

pH looks good.
IMG_4681.jpg

First runnings.
IMG_4684.jpg

First hop addition.
IMG_4685.jpg

Coolin' it down.
IMG_4687.jpg

Into the primary.
IMG_4689.jpg

I got better efficiency than expected. I'm still trying to get comfortable with my setup. OG=1.054
IMG_4690.jpg

The caramel grains didn't turn out like I had anticipated, but the toasted grains seemed to be similar to the grains I was attempting to mimic.

here's the link I used for guidance.

Hopefully Mrs. Jass takes the hint and purchases "Radical Brewing" for Father's day.:)

Mr. Jass, What was the problem you experienced with the linked directions for crystal/caramel? Any idea what part of the process went wrong? I'm trying to figure out crystal, specifically time needed for different lovibonds.

By the way, radical brewing is an awesome book, although it only has the basics for making crystal malt, no time - lovibond scale, I think it is a trade secret.:tank:

Back