Canadians: HBT BJCP Homebrew Contest - Interest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not all that concerned about getting swag, but a $15 price tag certainly won't break the bank. I'm more interested in the score sheet but I'll go with the crowd on this issue.

ok, I'm checking with the judge, and with the prize sponsor. If they like it, that's what we'll do. Here's my thought:

$15 for the first entry, $3 for each additional entry.

You get a t-shirt (one per entrant), and the chance to win four prizes. They are:

$50 BOS gift certificate
$15 First place (three total) gift certificate

You get back your score sheet, with the judge's comments and score on it. That will come in the mail to you, along with a ribbon (if you won first, second, or third). If I can't get the ribbons to Canada without paying exorbitant fees, there won't be a ribbon. But the judge is in Canada, and can get the score sheets to you.

The categories would be what I outlined above.

Any questions or comments?

I've never entered a competition where I have to ship my bottles before so aside from the rules which will come in due time, I can't help from wondering... when the bottles get to the judge, they must be shaken to hell knowing how the shippers throw things around? The brew must get a beating!
I have a Munich Dark Lager that must be poured very gently due to the thick head that will form. It's been aging for months and is totally clear. I can't imagine the poor thing getting there and looking, enjoyed the way it is here.

I've never entered a competition where I have to ship my bottles before so aside from the rules which will come in due time, I can't help from wondering... when the bottles get to the judge, they must be shaken to hell knowing how the shippers throw things around? The brew must get a beating!
I have a Munich Dark Lager that must be poured very gently due to the thick head that will form. It's been aging for months and is totally clear. I can't imagine the poor thing getting there and looking, enjoyed the way it is here.

Since many of us ship to contests frequently, I understand what you mean! Keep in mind, though, that the person receiving the beer knows homebrew and bottle conditioned beers. They handle it properly, allowing it to settle, putting in the fridge, etc, so it can be enjoyed appropriately.

Any special instructions can go on the label- like "Wit beer- please swirl before pouring".

We're proud to sponsor this competition! We have a 25kg bag of Special B sitting at our supplier, which we should have in stock by the time the prizes are awarded. Man, that stuff is hard to come by!

We're proud to sponsor this competition! We have a 25kg bag of Special B sitting at our supplier, which we should have in stock by the time the prizes are awarded. Man, that stuff is hard to come by!

Since you are at in the east, give Dan at Dan's homebrewing a call (Vancouver). He carries Sp B and many other grains on a reg basis. I'm sure he could help sort you out with suppliers. Dan's great, he just doesn't make mail order very easy. lol

beermaking.ca

Off topic a bit I know, but if you guys could come up with some affordable shipping to the west.....

Anyway, thank you for contributing for a prize for this potential (likely) comp!!

I'm going to ask a wholesaler I know if he's willing to donate something for this as well. He doesn't have a large interweb presence but he might be into donating something... perhaps hops?

Gambrinus might be coaxed into donating some grain, but shipping might be a hassle cost wise.

Ok, what about doing like this:

Lagers

Pale Ales (English and American)

Stouts/Porters/Browns

I know it's broad,

Well, I have a lager coming up and a brown, but I was hoping to get a red in there. I love my Irish Reds, but I understand that we have to have limits. Maybe I'll just put one in there for the judge to uh,... enjoy.... while he/she evaluates my entries. ;)

ok, I'm checking with the judge, and with the prize sponsor. If they like it, that's what we'll do. Here's my thought:

$15 for the first entry, $3 for each additional entry.

You get a t-shirt (one per entrant), and the chance to win four prizes. They are:

$50 BOS gift certificate
$15 First place (three total) gift certificate

You get back your score sheet, with the judge's comments and score on it. That will come in the mail to you, along with a ribbon (if you won first, second, or third). If I can't get the ribbons to Canada without paying exorbitant fees, there won't be a ribbon. But the judge is in Canada, and can get the score sheets to you.

The categories would be what I outlined above.

Sounds good, Yooper. How do we submit the entry fee? I got a credit card declined this week and managed to charge a Paypal purchase to a bank account that didn't have nearly enough money to cover the charge. Just embarrasing accounting mistakes on my part, but enough to make me want to knock a few teeth out and wear a sleeveless t-shirt.

So, will a personal cheque be okay? :D

Thanks for stepping up. You sure got our attention. I'll wear my shirt proudly and let people know where it came from.

I was hoping to be able to use Paypal, because that would be easier internationally. If you don't have Paypal, I'll have you mail a check or I'll have another option by then.

A red ale can be sent, too. Don't worry- the judge can accept generally any beer and place it appropriately. We'll be grouping up similar categories for the purpose of prizes, but all beers will be judged by their own style guidelines.

Registration will be this summer, with the entries due around mid-September. More info will be coming when I have it all figured out!

I was hoping to be able to use Paypal, because that would be easier internationally. If you don't have Paypal, I'll have you mail a check or I'll have another option by then.

Paypal will be fine for me. I'm not really poor, only the crowd at the the DMV thinks so. :eek:

I'm interested! Vienna Brewer --> I guess tht falls into the lager category. 15$ isn't that much, paypal sounds good... even if i never used it b4

Evstakiev's Montreal Home Brews

We'll have more details coming this summer, with entries due around September 15th or so. We'll have all beer styles, but not ciders or meads.

There will be score sheets, and t-shirts for all. For winners, ribbons and/or a gift certificate. So, brew and brew often!

We'll have more details coming this summer, with entries due around September 15th or so. We'll have all beer styles, but not ciders or meads.

There will be score sheets, and t-shirts for all. For winners, ribbons and/or a gift certificate. So, brew and brew often!

I take it that this means we're a go.

Hmmmm... There must some home made beer around here somewhere.....

:tank:

i havnt been on at all lately....it was too cold to brew, so i just saw this now.....too late to join up yet??, if not, then put me down also....

not in it to win, but i do need a t shirt!, and a reason to brew another type of beer.

Mike

Do our entries have to be in bottles with crowns? I don't bottle, so I'm not really keen on buying a capper. I was just going to buy a case of PET bottles from the HBS and remit them that way.

I have some nut brow that is great....hurry the heck up before I drink it all and have to submit crap /:)

Does the winner get an update on paot 5000?

I'm not sure how these contests work. <rant>I guess I am concerned that some crazy Lactic Lambic or something in the "other" category made with pine nuts and lemongrass is going to win because it is so far away from a real category that it can't be rated </endrant>

But I'm Canadian, I'm fine with anything.

I like the idea of Yooper or whomever may be non-biased (ie someone with some 3 year old barleywine that has won 6 competitions) picking 1 or 2 classes. Then we we choose to submit to that, or just to submit whatever we have for best in show.

I've never seen something "weird" win BOS. I don't think I've ever seen anything out of category 23 or 21 make it very far in a BOS round.

As for how the comps work check out the BJCP website. bjcp.org

Yooper and I have had a bit of back and forth regarding the HBT Homebrew Competition for the Canadian members of HBT. I was offering to help organize some of it, if needed, but it looks like there are some logistic hurdles.

After trying to work out some of the problems, I ended up suggesting that the Canadians just be allowed to join the main (American) HBT Homebrew Competition, and the we drop the plans for a whole separate Canadian competition. The cost to brewers won't change much (it is only slightly more expensive to ship to the US, if at all). But it would open the door to a bigger payoff and all those amazing prizes that are featured in the main HBT Competition.

The legality of shipping beer to the US might be a deterrent to some, however. There are regulations to prevent it (unless you go through some ridiculous paperwork to register as an exporter with the USFDA). But my (uniformed) opinion is that one can usually get away with shipping your homebrew as 'yeast samples' or 'home-made craft products'. The worst thing that might happen is that your homebrew gets confiscated or 'destroyed' ;) at the border if customs learns what the contents really are.

Anyways, I am in favour of having us Canucks join in on the American competition. I have no problem going toe-to-toe with our American friends and stealing away their prizes! ;)

Do the Canucks agree? Please chime in with your opinion either way, so that we can move forward with a solid plan. Thanks!

:mug:

Let's not make it painful if there are issues. Kudos to everyone who put their time in to try to make it happen.

I think you should just open up the US competition and leave it at that. They're not going to hunt us down for shipping beer when our new mandatory minimums will take up all the good spaces.

That's all we get? One thoughtful response by fingers and one less thoughtfull boo (not even sure if this a boo for or against)?

Some feedback from those interested in participating would be helpful to decide whether a Canadian competition should be pursued. Given the difficulty in organizing a separate competition for Canucks, and the lack of response, I suggest HBT move forward with integrating the Canadians into the main competition.

Does anyone want to convince the powers-that-be otherwise?

I'm confused - according to the rules posted by YooperBrew Canadians are eligible. It says ALL HBT members and mentioned nothing about other countries (not that I saw)

I will happily enter the US competition. Is that allowed?

If the problems with a Canadian competition are logistical it seems to me that integration with the US competition would be best. There aren't that many positive responses to even participating so it would probably end up being more work for the organizers than would be worthwhile.

The US competition also poses entry barriers for Canadians but at least the pool of participants is large and the potential payoffs are greater as well.

I'm confused - according to the rules posted by YooperBrew Canadians are eligible. It says ALL HBT members and mentioned nothing about other countries (not that I saw)

I will happily enter the US competition. Is that allowed?

I guess the decision has been made, then. I think this is a good thing that we can participate. Earlier, it was only open to Americans IIRC.

I guess the decision has been made, then. I think this is a good thing that we can participate. Earlier, it was only open to Americans IIRC.

Thanks, I will seek confirmation from YooperBrew though - just to be sure.

I WILL however participate in a Canadian Contest if one is held!

Thanks, I will seek confirmation from YooperBrew though - just to be sure.

I WILL however participate in a Canadian Contest if one is held!

Yes, you Canucks can participate! However, we cannot be held responsible for any problems you may have with getting your entries to the contest area in the US. If you win a substantial prize, we'll have to figure out a way to make sure it can be shipped to you by the vendor. I don't think that will be an issue, but that may be a risk.

I'm sure that Paypal can accept international payments, so we should be all set from that side.

i was away last week - just saw this - i would still be willing to participate in the us competion

Back