Looking for a good extract amber ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeChasay

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm thinking of brewing a new batch soon and was thinking about doing an amber ale. Something with hops to it but still malt body. Right now I have .75 oz of Centennial Hops and .50 oz of Cascade hops still left that I would like to use up. I don't mind getting some more if I needed but figured I might as well use what I got.

Anyone know some good recipes???

Another good bet would be the amber ale from brewing classic styles:

English Pale Ale LME (3.5*L) 6.6 lbs
Munich LME (9*L) 0.7 lb

Steeping grains:
Crystal 40 0.75lb
Crystal 120 0.5lb
Victory (28*L) 0.5lb

Hops
Horizon 13% 60min .6oz
Cascade 6% 10min .25oz
Centennial 9% 10min .25oz
Cascade 6% 0min .25oz
Centennial 9% 0min .25oz

Ferment with US-05 at 67*F

This one will probably have a richer more complex flavor than my recipe, which will probably more on the easy drinking side. (you know, drinkability:cross:) On the other hand with this recipe you end up with a lot of leftovers if you order grain by the pound and hops by the ounce. Brewmaster's warehouse sells grain by the ounce which is nice. With my recipe there are no leftover hops and you can order the black patent uncrushed since it is usually used in small amounts and can be crushed with a rolling pin or wine bottle, that way the rest will keep.

Well I don't think I would have a problem with left over grain cause I can measure it out at the LHBS. But those recipes do look pretty good. Would probably have to get some more hops for your recipe but I figure I'll have to get some anyways with no matter what beer I make lol

Another good bet would be the amber ale from brewing classic styles:

English Pale Ale LME (3.5*L) 6.6 lbs
Munich LME (9*L) 0.7 lb

Steeping grains:
Crystal 40 0.75lb
Crystal 120 0.5lb
Victory (28*L) 0.5lb

Hops
Horizon 13% 60min .6oz
Cascade 6% 10min .25oz
Centennial 9% 10min .25oz
Cascade 6% 0min .25oz
Centennial 9% 0min .25oz

Ferment with US-05 at 67*F

This one will probably have a richer more complex flavor than my recipe, which will probably more on the easy drinking side. (you know, drinkability:cross:) On the other hand with this recipe you end up with a lot of leftovers if you order grain by the pound and hops by the ounce. Brewmaster's warehouse sells grain by the ounce which is nice. With my recipe there are no leftover hops and you can order the black patent uncrushed since it is usually used in small amounts and can be crushed with a rolling pin or wine bottle, that way the rest will keep.

I just brewed this recipe (JZ's American Amber). It's still in the secondary but it's tasting pretty good so far. I decided to use the 1/2 oz of leftover Cascade to dry hop it because I wanted a little more hop aroma.

I had some leftover grains and hops from BierMuncher's Centennial Blond and used them in a 3 gallon AG batch. It fits in the Amber guidelines. I added a little chocolate malt and replaced the crystal 10 with 40. I used US-05. So far it's great. Reminds me of Saint Arnold's Amber, maybe not quite as hoppy. I like it. Friends like it. Kind of low on the IBU side but I'm not a hop head.

Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 14.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.20 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3.29 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.79 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 12.34 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.22 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.22 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.14 %
0.35 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
0.60 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.08 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.60 qt of water at 170.6 F 154.0 F

You could easily do this as a Partial Mash. Use light DME or LME to replace Pale malts.

Back