Carmelizing honey with nutritional yeast instead of dap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had some advice before I gave this a shot. I was planing on putting some honey in a canning jar in water in a pressure cooker and a couple scoops of nutritional yeast. 20 min at "1" pressure setting? The end goal is to try to provide some residual sugars/flavors for a batch of cider.

30 min at the 1 setting on the pressure cooker added some color, but I was hoping for something a little more dramatic so I put it in for 30 on the higher pressure setting and this was the result. I went ahead and dumped it in a batch of cider. It had some effect on the color of the four gallons but not dramatically so.

IMG_0365.jpg

Looks wonderful. I've had good results with caramelizing raw sugar by simply cooking it in the oven so that should work as well. Never caramelized honey though.

Oh and caramel is sticky as ****. Try adding some water to it before putting it away so it'll be a syrup rather than a block of evil glue.

I dumped it in my batch of cider already.. unfortunately a little bit drizzled on the side of the carboy. I'm debating scrubbing with a sanitized brush or just topping off with more cider as I will need to for long term aging anyways. I hope it doesn't grow anything funky looking.

I have seen that video before, but it is fun to watch. Thanks for posting. I'm not targeting a bochet profile for my cider (yet). But, I may put it on my list for future experiments depending on how this one turns out.

I am going to try one more batch with the pressure cooker, only this time I'll add a bit of baking soda and the nutritional yeast (again). I plan on leaving it on the lower pressure setting but letting it ride for a good hour or two. We'll see how it goes.

Back