Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did it last year with some honey malt but didn't really notice it. Of course that could be because I dropped a bunch of grain on the ground though so who know what the ratio of honey malt to pale malt it was.
Still turned out well though.

with the small amount of honey malt I used, it is definitely noticable. The original recipe of this is just too light without something else added. It basically was like drinking water with ginger flavor. If someone brewing this didn't want to use as much honey, I would just add Pale Ale in place to give the beer a heavier body. Unless you like drinking beer that is lighter than Michelob Ultra? :confused:

Otherwise this recipe is a great starting point. Maybe a good intro beer for people who don't like beer.

Going to be brewing this again today, this time though im going to try subbing the Willamette hops with some Lemon Drop to see how they pair together. I think it just could work.

Making this again today. Using Amarillo as a FWH and 12oz of ginger- 6@30 and the other 6@10.
Cascade at flameout.

I came across this thread when I had a friend request a Ginger Beer. Brewing it today. I knocked the Cara-pils down to 10 ounces and added 10 ounces of Honey Malt. Thanks for posting this recipe!

I've used this recipe several times and it's become one of my favorites. It's a perfect summertime beer: light, crisp, but with good ginger flavor. The last two times I made it I added some cayenne pepper from the garden to bring out the spiciness of the ginger. Thanks for sharing! :)

I made this again and it's one of my (and SWMBO) favourites. I think this is the 4th version of it and it just keeps getting better.

I actually used the grain bill from Cottage House Saison and partygyled a session version of it after making this one.

IIRC, it was
5 lbs of Pale,
1lbs. Wheat,
.5 Carapil and
.5 Munich
200 grams of honey.

12oz of ginger on boil and another 8 on the dryhop. Amarillo for bitter, Cascade for aroma and dryhop.

So****inggood.

First time I've made this and first time that I've accurately controlled fermentation temperature, it came out absolutely amazing. Such a clean and refreshing taste.

7 Years after the OP published this and it is still popular. I made this yesterday and it's bubbling away as we speak. I did the AG version, and to be honest I was worried about the size of the grain bill, but it came out very nice (prior to fermentation) there is PLENTY of ginger in the recipe, I could taste the honey right up front, I think that will mellow with fermentation and lagering.

I can see how it won a place in a contest, it is a very nice recipe and I want to thank the OP for publishing it. WIth the recent popularity of Moscow Mules, Hard Sodas, etc. It was nice to find a tasty, cost effective, ginger beer.

This will be in my collection for years to come, thank you.

More tasting notes after its all done.

So after the primary was complete I got 1.002 for a FG, which I thought was good. THe nose has some honey notes and barely perceptible hops, but the ginger punch is lacking (please note that I have not added the ginger to secondary yet) but I am getting a kinda of bitter taste up front, almost like I added too much lemon.

I followed the receip almost exactly, leaving out the zest only. I am almost tempted to back sweeten in with anothe pound of honey? I wondered if anyone else got similar results when they tasted it in between rankings.

I think I will soak the 2.5 oz of ginger in some vodka prior to adding it. Any other hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I used about 2 times the ginger through out (I live in Hawaii and have plenty and like ginger alot!). Came out great, but I was hoping to get a late bit of Hot so will add a few ghost pepper seeds in part of my next batch. It was excellent and everyone including me loved it.

I've brewed somthing similar to this, added mango and am entering it in a BJCP comp under category 29B - fruit and spice beer.

They want us to specify the base beer. What would that be? a blonde? light ale?

I added quite a bit of honey malt to mine as well - so the base would have been a bit sweeter.

I had 12% carapils, 17% honey, 7% honey malt

what would you make that base out to be?

On my second iteration I did:

~ 3.175kg (7lb)- US 2row (70%)
~ 0.68 kg (1.5lb) - DE Vienna (15%)
~ 0.454 kg (1 lb) - White Wheat (10%)
~ 0.113 kg (0.25lb) - C10 (2.5%)
~ 0.113 kg (0.25lb) - Honey Malt (2.5%)

~ 28.3 g (1oz) Cascade @ 60'
~ 170.1 (6oz) finely chopped (food processor) Ginger root @ 30'
~ 1.25g (1/4 tsp) Irish Moss @ 15'
~ 113.4 (4oz) finely chopped (food processor) Ginger root @ 10'
~ 28.3 g (1oz) Willa @ 2'

1 envelope of Safale US05 yeast

Est OG: 1.051 (75% efficiency)
Est FG: 1.010 (5.4% ABV)
Bitterness: 25IBU's
Est Color: 4 SRM

Currently fermenting, but OG was 1.051 (75% brewhouse efficiency)

I tried the product before pitching and was surprised with the flavors. The honey malt was very prevalent even at 2.5%, but I am looking for a lawnmower beer with some malty flavor. You may like increasing the honey malt. I might suggest instead of the Carapils, using C10.

did you add any actual honey? friend of mine is wanting to do a ginger beer.

I know this thread has been going for years but wanted to add my 2 cents. I brewed as directed in the original recipe but held off on the additional ginger in the secondary. I've received rave reviews for this beer. Thanks to the original poster and all those who've contributed. This is a great recipe and one I'll brew again.

Still new to brewing, any reason why after 17 days my fg is only 1.024? Noticed everyone is fermenting way out.

I will be making the honey ginger IPA from Mosher’s Radical Brewing for the 12BoC 2020. Thank you to all who posted here with their knowledge and experience. Hopefully I will learn enough from the experience to add to the knowledge base as well.

Back