Big Sky Brewery Farmhouse saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighorn_brew

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone within range of Big Sky products....this saison is tasty and is unfiltered... Uses 3 different saison yeasts and is super fresh, my mini starter from dreggs is taken off like a rocket!
http://beerpulse.com/2013/02/big-sky-brush-tail-farmhouse-saison-ships-to-wholesalers/

image-1019725830.jpg

image-393536115.jpg

Just bumping this up with a progress note, this blend a a monster, and smells sooo good!

image-3262869268.jpg

Nice job with the yeast. I'm pretty new at this but am looking at doing a saison when it gets a bit warmer. How are you managing your ferm temps?

This is the starter at bout 68 degrees ambient room temp...can you get big sky beers?

I snagged a bottle of that from LoloMT7. Letting it sit a few days before I drink it, but looking forward to it. Would love to see more breweris making lower ABV saisons in 12oz package.

This is the starter at bout 68 degrees ambient room temp...can you get big sky beers?

I haven't seen any locally (South Central PA), but there is one great beer distributor that I should give a call to ask. I am unfamiliar with the brand. Sounds like the yeast isn't too high maintenance on temps then.

Neat idea!
Moose Drool is a great one of theirs! Haven't tried Brush Tail, I need to go see if they have it yet at the local store.

Do you think you captured all 3 types of yeast?

Nice job with the yeast. I'm pretty new at this. How are you managing your ferm temps?

Hope im not butting in here, but I saw no response to your question. Im brewing my first Saison on Saturday and did my starter tonight. As far as temps go I thought about a space heater in a closet but quickly decided against that....I have decided on using a fish tank heater (70 to 95 degrees, temp controlled, 25-50 bucks depending) and placing my fermentor into a slightly larger tub of water. I am using, Wyeast 3724, I have read where people have ramped the temps up to 85-90. Hence why I chose that route. Its a shot in the dark and going to be fun, worst case scenario it turns out bad. Good luck :mug:

Good call on pulling the dreggs!!

L1truckie - I literally watched a saison brewing session on an old episode of NorthernBrewer's BrewTV and the host did just what you are doing. I have the plastic tub for it, I'm pretty sure I'll use that method when I do it too!! He used the same yeast. Interestingly it produced 3 separate krausens over the course of 3 weeks, so apparently patience is the key with that yeast. He ramped up temps 2 degrees per day, maxing out around 80 I think.

LOVE this beer. any tips on grabbing the yeast from an unfiltered beer instead of bottle conditioned? I have a couple 12 ozers of this - but no sediment to start with. Curious if the process is slightly different.

edit:
a guy in my local club said he's been told Big Sky carbonates with a different yeast than it ferments with; ferment, filter, carbonate. very interesting.

Nope , the beer wasn't filtered, it was carbonated in tank, whatever settled out in bottles was the yeast(s) used for fermenting.

Back