Used liquor barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just got my barrels and they look great....did you guys soak yours before using or are they still tight? I hate to put water in them if it don't need it....plan on brewing Saturday and using barrels as a secondary!

Mine sat for 6 months before I could use it. I put a quart of rim in it before hand, though.

The day before I used it, I filled it with a standard starsan mix and drained before I racked.

We have Whiskey (5 gallon, $110), Brandy (10 gallon $150) and Rum (10 ($150) and 15 ($175) gallon) barrels available. Pm me with zip and email if you are interested in one.
Cheers,
John

New batch of barrels are coming.

I can get:
10 Gallon Rum ($150)
15 Gallon Rum ($175)
15 gallon Brandy ($175)
5 Gallon Sorghum Whiskey ($110)
5 Gallon(Rum ($110)

Please PM me with a zip if you are interested so I can get a shipping quote for you.

John

I'd be interested to see pricing on a 5 gallon rum and 10 gallon rum shipped to 29405 commercial address. I wouldn't think shipping would that much different between the two. Thanks!

Every time I see this thread get bumped I'm so so very tempted. How many times can you use a barrel before it's effectively kaput? Number of uses and time between use is my biggest hurdle. I'd love to do some barrel aged beers like big barleywines or RIS or maybe a barrel aged sour but would only brew handful a year if that. Can they be safely stored with either distilled water, or a mix of distilled water/liquor?

You should really have 2 beers ready to go back to back. The first beer takes on liquor fairly quick due to the high surface to liquid ratio, the second takes some time 3-4 months. You can store the barrel with a citric acid solution in between uses. I think there is a thread on here about it. You could also use liquor.

what did the 5 gallon barrels have in them....i was under the assumption i would want a 5 gal oak barrle that had bourbon in it....

55 gallon barrels?

Prefer smaller, but if not, still interested in pricing and type of wine. Don't spend a bunch of time on it, if they aren't readily available, no worries. Trying to think ahead to a future project. Thanks.

mlwahler said:
what did the 5 gallon barrels have in them....i was under the assumption i would want a 5 gal oak barrle that had bourbon in it....

We have some 5 gallon Rum barrels available, they impart a wonderful flavor.

My rum barrel will be there tues. I have 2 beers waiting for it, the second will be a 12.5% barleywine. First is a coffee stout. I'm stoked to have this!!

Thank you! Great service as usual!

T

Looks like a wonderful opportunity to enhance some brews however shipping may be prohibitive to my neck of the woods. How about 5gal of any sort - 99577.

Back