Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I have read on this forum about cheap kits that substitute corn sugar for malt extract. but.....

Austin Home Brew has a Pliny the Elder kit, that includes in the extract, mini-mash, and all grain options, one pound of corn sugar. What's the purpose of this addition of a 100 % fermentable sugar with no flavor value to the wort? Has it something to do with alcohol percentage or getting a lower SG?

BTW, their cost is a whopping $112.00!!!!!! :eek:

Oh, Pliny is my all-time favorite. Ever. There's about 9 ounces of hops in 5 gallons- that's why the high cost.

Corn sugar in this case is entirely appropriate. You want to thin the beer, and dry it out a bit, and corn sugar will do the job nicely. I've done a Pliny clone (not from AHS, but the one posted here on the forum) and used the corn sugar. Too much malt will make the beer too malty and too "thick". But you need a high OG to balance all those hops!

I stand corrected - the corn sugar is indeed listed as a fermentable, and there is an additional option for priming sugar. See Yooper's answer above.

Oh, Pliny is my all-time favorite. Ever. There's about 9 ounces of hops in 5 gallons- that's why the high cost.

Corn sugar in this case is entirely appropriate. You want to thin the beer, and dry it out a bit, and corn sugar will do the job nicely. I've done a Pliny clone (not from AHS, but the one posted here on the forum) and used the corn sugar. Too much malt will make the beer too malty and too "thick". But you need a high OG to balance all those hops!

How did it turn out? I recently sampled a couple bottles of the real stuff. $5.99 per bottle. Great beer, but I liked the DFH120 even more and the store I got them from was getting almost $10/bottle!!! With the AHS Pliny kit, it would work out to $2.07/bottle. What do you figure the cost per bottle was for the forum recipe?

Back