I'm looking for a drill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried some 3/8 inch corded drills but after a few minutes they got hot and started smelling funny. Now I use an old Milwaukee Hole Hawg that I borrowed from my neighbor. It can be set to 300 rpm, and is a beast. Doesn't break a sweat, tons of torque (nicknamed the wrist breaker). Downside is they are about $300 unless you pick up a used one on auction site or CL.

If I was actually buying one, I'd probably try one of the 1/2 inch Harbor Freight ones, as there is a lot of good feedback on here about them. Here is a link to one of several threads on them.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/harborfreight-drill-grain-mill-337006/

Hopefully this video will work. Its a little demo of my mill setup. Sorry about the out of focus bits. It's kinda tough to video without seeing the screen on your phone.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...ch?v=SpegD711Y3A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Oh that is perfect. Adjustable, but not based on trigger pressure. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to put the dial directly in the middle of the trigger... but I'm not complaining because it's the only one I've seen so far with the non-pressure-based adjustment. Definitely gonna try to find one of those. Thanks for the vid.

P.S. If anyone else has problems viewing youtube's mobile site from a desktop browser, like I do, try this link instead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using my 18v DeWalt corldess hammer drill to power my mills. First a BC then my MM2-2.0. With the 1/2" chuck, I didn't have issue going from the smaller (3/8") shaft on the BC to the bigger (1/2") shaft on the Monster...

I might see about going to the ancient 1/2" drill that's in the rolling section of the tool box that was my father's. I remember using it to drill into concrete growing up. It's a monster/beast of a drill. All metal housing and such. Might use that to power my mill on the table. :D

With all the self improvements I'm surprised some northerner has not adapted an old snowmobile motor and clutch and dubbed it "Man Mill". Could you imagine an 800cc 200hp Mod motor with pipes and throttle control cranking grain at 6500 rpm at only half throttle? Wonder how long it would take the rollers to get red hot and burn up the grain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zHhD-45Id0&feature=related

jsguitar said:
Thanks for posting this. I have the same drill and am going to mount it similar to what you did here.

The stack of washers with the bolt through to the top is probably overkill but it made it easy to mark the holes on the angle brackets. That and I like overkill.

I just bought that drill today. Thing practically turned itself right out of my hand when I just plugged it in and pulled the trigger without anything in/on the bit lol.

I'm looking forward to using it this week. I've got the warm power-tool fuzzies.

Well the M10 screws I picked up are just a smidge too big for the HF drill. They only go in about a 1/4". I should've brought the drill with me.

EDIT: See below, I picked up the wrong pitch number.

What thread pitch did you get? Mine is 100% most definitely M10x1.5

image-1732307677.jpg

They say M10-1.25. I didn't even know that was something I had look at. :eek:

So, if I understand you, they need to be M10-1.5?

jsguitar said:
They say M10-1.25. I didn't even know that was something I had look at. :eek:

So, if I understand you, they need to be M10-1.5?

Mine are. I would assume all are the same. Also, mind the length you get or use a nut to lock them from going too far in. It may be possible for them to contact the motor fan if they are threaded too far in. Use the handle as a guide for how much you know is ok.

Ok thanks. Hopefully this will help someone else who wants to do this too. I was ignorant of the taper number so I learned something new which is good, and good to know about being careful with the length.

jsguitar said:
Ok thanks. Hopefully this will help someone else who wants to do this too. I was ignorant of the taper number so I learned something new which is good, and good to know about being careful with the length.

There are usually 2 common thread pitches for each bolt size. Standard are generically called coarse and fine, but specify a thread per inch for each different size. Metric I'm not so sure about. There is still "coarse and fine" but they are never called that.

Back