Let's Talk Motorcycles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sause said:
I own two Jap bikes (a '76 Honda CB 750 and a '81 Kawasaki Vulcan 750) and I like them both. I have riden all the families at HD offer and I am saving my money up for Dyna for my next ride. People in my family own 4 HD's and none have had a problem in 8-10 years. I would like to say that the riders course is the best way to start riding a bike.

Which Dyna....rumor has it the Wide Glide is going to be retired this year.
I like the new Fat Bob.
My wife just ordered a Softail Deluxe.

Bedlam said:
This is the 2nd-best advice written on this thread. (The WINNING advice is about taking MSF courses!!) Don't write off "standard" bikes, or the "streetfighter" types. I LOOOVE a good, simple, flickable bike to thrash around some corners. Dualsports rock!

I have 3 bikes, for 3 different purposes. Mine all happen to be BMW's, but they are really, really different from each other. We like old bikes and working on them ourselves, so that opens up a lot more possibilities for us. Beemers work for us and we like the BMW community a lot, too...Beemer folks tend to camp and rallys are centered toward riding, not being nekkid and acting the fool. Suits us!

The most important thing to do is to get whatever bike gives you the "Wheeeeee!" factor. That's what it's all about, isn't it? Don't go by looks alone, get on the thing and see if it gets your blood pumpin'. After all, when you're ridin' it, you aren't lookin' at it! (Which explains why mine never get washed. Except in the rain.)

Online info is also good. There's a great riding group in your area:

http://wetleather.com/

and lots of good threads about first bike advice on here:

http://www.twtex.com

(although the site has been down today for some reason. Trust me, it usually isn't! )

Best of luck

+1 on Beemers. My one and only streetbike was a Yamaha, but if I bought another bike, it would be Japanese or German (if I was willing to spend more money).

A super glide with forward controls. I just need something that can move me since I'm a bigger guy. Though I loved riding the V-rod so a Night rod could be in the works too.

How about one of these:

6823_15020764840.jpg

Jesse17 said:
My advise to you: Don't get anything but a hog if it's the comradery you're looking for, get a Goldwing if it's touring you're looking for, and a Standard if you just want to have fun around town/country roads and short tours.

I have to disagree on the comaradarie thing. Over the years, I see the real motorcyclists caring less and less about "brand" when hanging out. Sure, you still have the brand snobs out there, but those who truly enjoy the ride don't really care what you bring, so long as you ride well and responsibly and occasionally pony up for a piece of pie at the end of the ride.

I've been a member of the Beemer community for years, matter o' fact, that's how I met my hubby. And even within the BMW community, you can find all different types of folks...for instance, there's the LT crowd, who mostly resemble the GoldWinger's (a bit older, more-well-to-do) and the F650 folks (younger, hipper)...and all the range in between. But for my money, it ain't what you ride, it's HOW you ride it...and how you treat me at gas stops and eating breaks.

BTW, an F650 is a dandy first bike...see the ChainGang for details:

www.f650.com

It's pretty close to a "standard" and can be a dualsport pretty easily if you wanna hit some gravel or dirt roads. Plenty of fun for commuting, too. I put over 6K on mine last year before shoulder surgery...yeeeehaaaaa!:ban:

I agree... I will be riding with my FIL and other Beemers to the 2008 BMW MOA Rally

My Father in law's wife and riding partner passed away a week after their 50th wedding anniversary last May and in June he had an accident were he fell a sleep in a turn which he later found out was due to severe sleep apnea which may have been aggravated by the loss of his wife. He had to have a rod put into his leg do to the accident. He was contemplating selling his bike since he didn't have his riding partner anymore. He was so excited when I told him we wanted to go to the rally with him. This is going to be a very special family ride.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rally08/

Bedlam said:
I have to disagree on the comaradarie thing. Over the years, I see the real motorcyclists caring less and less about "brand" when hanging out. Sure, you still have the brand snobs out there, but those who truly enjoy the ride don't really care what you bring, so long as you ride well and responsibly and occasionally pony up for a piece of pie at the end of the ride.

Just seems like there's the Harley crowd, and the everybody else crowd. But..... I will say that anyone helps anyone when you're broke down or hurt (god forbid).

JohnA111 said:
Just seems like there's the Harley crowd, and the everybody else crowd.
I think this is somewhat location dependent. For example, my Dad lives in south-central PA, near York, where a major Harley factory is located. The climate there is VERY Harley-centric, and you're not likely to even get a friendly wave from a Harley guy if you're on a Honda. In fact, if you own a Sportster, you're a bit of an outcast since it's such a "small" bike.

However, out here in the southwest, there isn't nearly so much Harley snobbery. Sure, there are a few die-hards, but I generally get the same friendly reception whether I'm on my old Honda or my new Sportster.

In the end, it's all the same - buy a bike you like that's in your price range and enjoy it. Brand-loyalty is WAY overrated, IMHO.

e lo said:
And while I agree with the vast majority of what Sir Humpsalot said, I do have to object to the group rides comment. I go on group rides all the time on my SV. The group is of standard and sportbike riders, mostly, not cruiser riders, though. But we still definitely do it, and so do guys on Japanese cruisers. My dad rides (among other bikes) a Vulcan, and he goes on group rides down in Tucson all the time.

I honestly, truly believe that the rate of accidents or at least mishaps must at least double during group rides. In my experience, they just aren't as safe as riding your own ride, by yourself, without the pressures of keeping up or showing off or whatever. Sure, we can repeat the mantra: Ride Your Own Ride, but at the end of the day, somebody is going to have a lapse of judgment that he probably wouldn't have had if there was nobody there to impress or keep up with.

Don't get me wrong. I love group rides for the adrenaline factor.

And that's exactly why I don't do them. I know other guys who love group rides for the poker-run, drink a beer at each stop kinds of parties. And that's exactly why I don't do those either.

I'm sure there is a happy medium out there, of sane, responsible riders who ride slow and sober and perfectly cautious... and, well, I don't think that sounds like much fun.

To each their own though. I can't deny there will always be some folks that are fun to ride with. You only live once, right?

wihophead said:
I am not sure I understand that statement....
Only buy a Harley if you plan on doing group rides???

I do very little group riding, in fact it is not uncommon for just the wife an I to do a 250 mile scenic ride on a nice day.

Although I will be doing a small group ride to the BMW MOA rally in Wyoming this July though. It is a short 2000 mile round trip......;)

1000 miles each way? That's gotta be what? At least 14 hours or so in the saddle!!! Is your Harley really comfortable to do a breakfast-to-dinner ride like that? ;)

Well, then again, how bad could it be? It's not like you'd have to waste an entire day just to get there...

Go to bed early, leave at 3am when there's no traffic, ride through a beautiful sunrise, stop for breakfast out in the middle of nowhere, preferably eat with farmers. Farmers eat well. Arrive at 6:30pm, have an hour or two of daylight left to sight-see, indulge in 5 or 6 hours of heavy drinking, and wake up refreshed the next day, ready to roll. Sounds like fun!

:ban:

Please, before you look any further, check into the Yamah Vmax. Best cruiser type bike ever built. 140+HP, shaft drive, Yamaha dependability (other than the trans problems of 85-86) and sweet looking ride.

Truns a sub 10 second 1/4 mile, great fuel economy, extremely comfortable on long rides, super reliable, very low maintenence..

What more can you ask for?

98.jpg

Heck yes!!!! If I had a storm trooper costume, that is TOTALLY what I would buy!!!!! :fro:

Seriously, that's a pretty cool bike... but it's a LOT of bike...

Ryanh1801 said:
Personally I would never own a Harley. They are just not reliable bikes and love to break down. Honda's are where it is at for motorcycles IMO. You can ride them forever with out having a problem. Only problem is the Honda will lose its value a lot faster than a HD.

+1
I would never down talk any motorcycle, but I have had marvelous luck with my honda.
I bought a 1973 Honda CB750 when I was 18 (15 years ago) and rode it everywhere. Actually, for most of my college years it was my most reliable transportation. I rode it all year round (in Illinois) unless the snow/ice prevented (I was broke and it took the least gas). To this day, I can go to my garage and start it up. It has only had the top end rebuilt one time, in 1997.
I bought this as a starter bike to prepare me to buy a harley when I had money. Once I had money, I never even considered a harley. It may not be the coolest, most rebellious or fastest, but that Honda is one of the best purchases I've ever made.
Here are some pics.

nb

Sir Humpsalot said:
1000 miles each way? That's gotta be what? At least 14 hours or so in the saddle!!! Is your Harley really comfortable to do a breakfast-to-dinner ride like that?

Well, then again, how bad could it be? It's not like you'd have to waste an entire day just to get there...

Go to bed early, leave at 3am when there's no traffic, ride through a beautiful sunrise, stop for breakfast out in the middle of nowhere, preferably eat with farmers. Farmers eat well. Arrive at 6:30pm, have an hour or two of daylight left to sight-see, indulge in 5 or 6 hours of heavy drinking, and wake up refreshed the next day, ready to roll. Sounds like fun!

She is very comfortable....;)

dsc00387vn7.jpg

We don't ride straight through, that isn't the way to enjoy the sites and the people.

We generally ride 300-400 miles a day with frequent stops in small towns when we can, then we make camp at night. Riding 90MPH just to get to your destination is not my idea of fun. You know the saying...."half the fun is getting there"

I picked this bike up in September and put 3500 miles on it in 6 weeks. I am hoping to at least get 3rd place in our local HOG club mileage contest this year. My BIL took 3rd this year with just under 15K and I know he will never let me beat him...lol
First place was over 25K but he is retired....:mad:

All this talk of riding is really starting to bum me out especially when I look outside and see all the damn snow....:(

Yeah.... for a first bike get something that fits into the following category:

Used
Inexpensive
Light enough to pick up

Make sure it has good tires & working brakes. Either learn to do the maintenance yourself (it is quite easy) or be prepared to overpay a mechanic.

My first bike was a 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 that I got for $1,000 and sold for $1,600. Current bikes, '01 Suzuki SV650 & '01 Kaw KLR650 (big dirt bike w/ license plate).

Take the MSF course & never ride without a minimum of helment, jacket, gloves, boots.

in the rec.motorcycles newsgroup archives, there is a guy who explains about his tendon reconstruction, the pain killers, etc., after the gravel as removed form his hands...

And to think what something as simple as 2-bit work gloves could have spared..

Everytime I see a rider on a near-new machine (= having spent a few thou.) I always wonder why s/he did not spend another 30 bucks for gloves. You actually get a much better grip feel with gloves anyway.

Flyin' Lion said:
How about one of these:

6823_15020764840.jpg

actually those are getting some killer reviews.

I own a Honda VTX1300C. Nothing but good times on this bad boy. The only work ive done is basic maintenance and It been nothing but good times. It's not he fastest bike in the world, but it makes up for speed with incredible tourque.

3394-VTX008.jpg

<sarcasm>Who could have guessed that a thread about motorcycles on the internet would have gone in this direction??</sarcasm>

IMHO considering the type of riding you want to do, your skill level (or lack there of), your budget for the initial purchase and budget for periodic maintenance will point you in right direction for your first bike.

Take your local MSF course

Test ride everything you can get your hands on

If you decided to buy used, make sure you take a friend that knows their way around a bike to help evaluate the true condition

brewt00l said:
If you decided to buy used, make sure you take a friend that knows their way around a bike to help evaluate the true condition
I just wanted to quote this, as it's an EXCELLENT piece of advice for buying a used bike. Good deals start seeming a lot less good if you have to throw significant $ after the purchase at new tires, chain & sprockets, brake pads or, god forbid, rotors, etc.

:off: And since we're posting pictures of our bikes, I'll use it as an excuse to post a track vid of myself on my SV650 last season. I'm on the blue one that passes the camera bike about 20 seconds in. Sorry to the OP -- this helps you none, since you want a cruiser, but... :)

[youtube]UTbnJNtKhPg[/youtube]

Whether or not some riding group cares what you bring, there are still strong brand(and "field") cliques among others. Harley is a strong one, although I'm not really crazy about HDs. BMW is another as is the KTM/Husaberg/Husqvarna crowd and Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki crotch rocket audience.

I ride my Honda offroad and am not always "recognized" by the street riders(you know, the 'wave'). Usually I am, but sometimes not. OTOH, sometimes I get the 'wave' while riding my bicycle. :eek:

If I have to Explain, you wouldn't understand. I have ridden my Heritage HD 1300 miles in two days day and I like to be comfortable. 29.5K no problems. Take a MSF course on the bike you ride. Be safe, have fun. SHUT UP and RIDE.

Bike.jpg

Back