Extract Arrogant Bastard clonish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
I'm about to order up the ingredients to do a brew similar to Arrogant Bastard. Thinking about switching to S-04 yeast. I prefer dry yeasts as life often changes my brewing plans. Any thoughts/comments welcome!

9 lbs Breiss Pilsen DME
.5 lb Special B

1 oz Chinook 60 mins
1 oz Chinook 30 mins
.5 oz Chinook 5 mins
.5 oz Chinook 0 mins

S-05 yeast

Brewtarget calculates:
OG 1.074
FG 1.018
ABV 7.2%
IBU 70

I think I'm going to up the special B to a full pound. Also added another ounce of hops, split between 5 and 0 minute additions. It's going to be hard to compare to the original though, AB isn't sold in WI.

9 lbs Breiss Pilsen DME
1 lb Special B

1 oz Chinook 60 mins
1 oz Chinook 30 mins
1 oz Chinook 5 mins
1 oz Chinook 0 mins

S-05 yeast - ferment at 66-68

Brewtarget calculates:
OG 1.075
FG 1.019
ABV 7.4%
IBU 77
Color 16.2

Can't give you much feedback on the recipe (although I would've though there'd be more than 1 hop variation) as I don't know what they use. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites, and I always notice tropical fruitiness from the hops, so I'm assuming they use Citra and possibly Cascade. Maybe add 1 oz of Citra (the beer is hoppy) and replace your 5 minute addition w/ Cascade? That's just my opinion, of course.

But whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll turn out great if you do your research. And like I said, Arrogant Bastard is one of my faves, so please let us know how this turns out!

The research (admittedly not extensive) I've done leads to just Chinook hops. So we are going to give this a whirl and see what happens. I bet it'll be good.

Can't give you much feedback on the recipe (although I would've though there'd be more than 1 hop variation) as I don't know what they use. Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites, and I always notice tropical fruitiness from the hops, so I'm assuming they use Citra and possibly Cascade. Maybe add 1 oz of Citra (the beer is hoppy) and replace your 5 minute addition w/ Cascade? That's just my opinion, of course.

But whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll turn out great if you do your research. And like I said, Arrogant Bastard is one of my faves, so please let us know how this turns out!

AB is single hop Chinook, with Special B, english yeast (002 I believe), reportedly to about 80 IBUs, although they have not published it. The OP is on the right track.

Since it is an all-extract batch, I'd probably replace 1 lb of DME with a pound of table sugar. That should help bring down the FG by a few points.

That's a good idea to add a pound of sugar. I'll play around with the recipe some and post any changes.

Also I have a co worker picking up several bombers of AB for me. Plan is to drink one before brewing to refresh my memory on bitterness vs. hoppiness. Then keep one or two for later comparisons.

The research (admittedly not extensive) I've done leads to just Chinook hops. So we are going to give this a whirl and see what happens. I bet it'll be good.

Oh, I'm sure it will be! Interesting, I never knew Chinook hops could be so complex. I'm currently putting together a recipe for an American Strong Ale (not a AB or DB clone, but something similar), and am certainly going to use Chinook now, in addition to Cascade and Citra.

Please keep us updated!

Oh, I'm sure it will be! Interesting, I never knew Chinook hops could be so complex. I'm currently putting together a recipe for an American Strong Ale (not a AB or DB clone, but something similar), and am certainly going to use Chinook now, in addition to Cascade and Citra.

FYI: Ruthless Rye (Sierra Nevada) uses Chinook and Citra, + some experimental hop for finishing.

Brewed this tonight. Went with the 9 lbs of DME and no sugar. Nailed OG of 1.075 w/o needing any top off water (full boil). Did 3 lbs of DME for 60 minutes, added the last 6 at 0 min before chilling. Wort sample was definitely bitter and hoppy, we'll see how it turns out.

Less than 24 hours and fermentation is rocking.

ForumRunner_20131120_212753.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131120_212802.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131120_212802.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 436
  • ForumRunner_20131120_213134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131120_213134.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 442
I've got Austin Hombrews AB clone just bottled last week. It was 10lbs dark LME, and 1.5 lbs specialty grain (special B and one other?) . OG 1.079. Double pitched US05. FG was 1.017. The sample at bottling tasted awesome.

I've got Austin Hombrews AB clone just bottled last week. It was 10lbs dark LME, and 1.5 lbs specialty grain (special B and one other?) . OG 1.079. Double pitched US05. FG was 1.017. The sample at bottling tasted awesome.

What was the hop schedule?

Racked to secondary tonight, sg was at 1.020. Next time I'll replace some dme with dextrose I think. Cold crashing this weekend.

Cool! My FG was 1.015, used us-05 for it. In bottles about 2 wks now and tastes like it will need at least 4-6 wks before really drinkable. The clone kit is far off from arrogant bastard though. Still can't believe how close the bells two hearted clone kit (dead ringer ale from NB ) came to tasting like the actual beer!

Cracked one open last night. Not carbed up yet and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Going to give it another couple of weeks.

Cracked one open last night. Not carbed up yet and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Going to give it another couple of weeks.

What temp are you conditioning at? 4 wks seems awful long to not yet be carbed?

The closet I store my beer in is about 67 degrees or so. A little on the cool side. My carb times usually take a bit longer than others.

This is finally coming together. Hot alcohol taste is gone and carb level is decent. I sourced a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and will be doing a side by side to see how it compares.

Nice. Normal for a strong ale to take a while. My 10.1% strong ale has been bottled for 7+ weeks, and still tastes a little young.

Did a side by side tasting (AB on the left, mine on the right). Mine is definitely lighter in color than AB. I think I had more hop taste than AB but pretty close (not a clone though). Both were good!

IMAG0637_zpshnzqrksf.jpg

Back