Surly clone: which one should I brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinylrooster

Reaction score
As the title states: Which surly all grain clone recipe should I brew next? Northern brewer has all grain kits for bender, furious, cynic, and bitter.

To preface this a little bit, I've actually not been able to get my hands on anything from surly yet, so I'm going into this kind of blind. My gut is leaning towards bender, but please let me know any experiences you've had with either the clone kits or the originals. I'm looking to brew first week of September and have it ready for consumption around Halloween or a little after that if it still tastes green. Tasting notes and experiences with these kits would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance hbt'ers!

I've brewed the bitter kit twice, and have adapted their recipe and purchased the same grain cheaper elsewhere about 4 times. It's actually my favorite beer. I try to keep this one bottled if I can.

With the buy 2 all grain kits, get one free deal that NB had a couple months ago, I bought the Cynic kit. I just bottled it last Sunday. The taste tests I had racking to secondary, and on bottling day, were fantastic. I really can't wait for this one to age a bit in the bottle.

So far I have to say that I'm extremely impressed with the two of them. I live in Florida, so fat chance I'll ever get to try a real Surly beer, but if either of these two beers are even close to what you can buy up north, I'd almost consider moving.

I've recently had my first taste of both Bender and Cynic. Bender is good, dark, hoppy with a slight coffee taste. Cynic I liked more ( not a coffee drinker) lighter in color and taste. I did pick up a little bit of an apricot as well. Cheers!

Also, if I do go the bender route I'm considering making the full 5 gallons and then splitting it into two 2.5G batches at secondary and adding coffee to the one. I've seen a lot of people do it and it's supposedly great.

Ordered 2 Cynic kits, and 2 Bitter kits last night.

I cooled a couple of the Cynics earlier this week - and drank them, and all I can say is what a great beer. It's ready to go, but I'm going to give it at least 1 more week in the bottle before I start drinking it. Can hardly wait.

Ordered 2 Cynic kits, and 2 Bitter kits last night.

I cooled a couple of the Cynics earlier this week - and drank them, and all I can say is what a great beer. It's ready to go, but I'm going to give it at least 1 more week in the bottle before I start drinking it. Can hardly wait.

I'm torn between cynic and bender!

I've made the Bitter and I have another kit on hand. Its probably the best beer I've ever made.

I've done the Furious one 3 times I think. The yield suffers a bit from the 8.5 oz of dry hops, but terrific brew!

Back