Lupini beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcampo

Reaction score
So a while back I was having a conversation with my grandmother who who lives in Portgual, and beer came up in the conversation. She told me that when she was younger she used to home brew in Portugal. However, she said that Lupini/lupin beans were used in the recipe, along with some type of grain, (she couldn't remember what type of grain). And lupini beans were quite popular to use in beer in Portugal. Im really curious to know how lupini beans were incorporated in this but she is very elderly and does not remember how she made it. I would like to replicate this beer that my ancestors drank but I cannot find anything like it on the web...........Does anyone have any idea on how the lupini beans could of been used? Mashed? Thrown in the boil? Thrown in the fermenter?

Have you had any luck w this? When did you add the beans? Mash or boil? Also did you not use any hops?

Badunkadunkle, I have not attempted to try it yet, but I will. I moved to a different location and im trying to upgrade my home brewery. But I still have no idea how I would incorporate it into the wort. I was hoping somebody with more knowledge on this would be able to provide at least an educated guess.

I know this: that they did purchase yeast and not do a wild fermentation. And that they did use barley.

It seems that BYO had an article on bean beer at some point. I know there's at least one Japanese company producing a soybean beer. Here's a link to a guy that made a mesquite bean beer.

If it were me, i'd devise a simple session beer recipe using a base malt with a lot of diastatic power, such as 2 row, and crush up a pound or so of the beans you want to try. I'd mash them right along with the base malt and brew it up with some tame hops like hallertau or saaz.

Thank you aiptasia. I was thinking the same thing, that the bean might have some diastatic power because it is carb after all, so mashing it may be ideal. I will post a new thread when I have the final results

I can only imagine what combining beans and yeast is going to produce.... in your large intestine......

You might wish to take a beano.

Back