I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I boiled it down to the final volume and took a reading. I get 13 ppg (based on original weights and volumes) which compares well to the 14 I got from the estimates. The original estimates were using the final barrel volume and the original dry grain amounts, so it's on target.

I just added the golden syrup. The wort now tastes like wort. It actually tastes like a liquid bran muffin. I'm chilling the wort down now. I am going to krausen it since I already have a batch of ale going in high krausen and 2.5 qts of beer isn't worth tearing open a whole sachet of Nottingham. Will probably ferment it right in the pot.

Oh, I was reading 2.5 gal.; 2.5 qts is indeed a small batch. Are you taking pictures?

Off to bed, brewing tomorrow starting at 4-4:30

How'd it turn out? I'm planning on a 4-5 brewday tomorrow myself. Octoberfest time.

My George Washington Small Beer experiment is underway!

Very cool. Will keep an eye on that.

Heres an old, sappy tune that I have always liked. For your late night Saturday soundtrack, Mary Hopkins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I'll put it up on the Recipes database when it is all done. I started a thread discussing this recipe about a month ago:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/george-washingtons-small-beer-recipe-419244/

Turned out good finished at 9am clean up and everything. Just got back from wiring a STC-1000 and drinking a 3 gallon keg between 2 people alittle drunk an wife is alittle pissed. She dropped me off and picked me up but said I would be done by 7pm so she could watch the Jags game got home at at 8:15 damn it. PP you know how I get when enjoying beer and good company. I 'm sorry ;)
A little late for a fest PP

How many pounds of apples do I need per pound of cider? I guess I could look up a recipe. The friends we are staying with have 2 trees that are almost falling down, they are so full of apples. Said I could take some with me.

Oh, and the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. The catfish I cooked the other night was melt in your mouth, 2 men fell in love with me. Hubby was jealous.

Hmmm...got a pile of large frozen shrimp and I'm hankering to make a snack out of them. I was thinking of either pan-frying them or maybe skewering them under the broiler. Any good ideas for seasoning & spice?

I like;

Amber or brown ale, German mustard, Old Bay, Garlic, Olive Oil, pinch of oregano. Marinade in that for as little as 30 mins or as long as overnight.

Put them on your skewers and broil or grill.

My wife is out of town and I am reclaiming the kitchen and trying to figure out where she has stashed stuff.

I miss cooking, but she hates how I wing things. She needs to have everything planned out at least 2 days in advance, where I am a "here and now" sort of guy.

Like fresh not a fan of frozen seafood prefer garlic butter and basil with a little red pepper, myself. What are you chasing it down with?

Butter and garlic is definitely good, so simple. The chipotle/cumin/garlic with bacon and lime was fantastic, but if I had decent seafood in the house I wouldn't do those spices, too overpowering. But for old frozen shrimp from the back of the freezer, it was excellent.

I'm basically clearing out the fridge and freezer and playing Iron Chef with what I find.

I'm chasing it alternately with my blonde ale and my apfelwein. The blonde ale isn't the greatest, I'm just drinking it to empty the bottles.

Butter and garlic is definitely good, so simple. The chipotle/cumin/garlic with bacon and lime was fantastic, but if I had decent seafood in the house I wouldn't do those spices, too overpowering. But for old frozen shrimp from the back of the freezer, it was excellent.

I'm basically clearing out the fridge and freezer and playing Iron Chef with what I find.

I'm chasing it alternately with my blonde ale and my apfelwein. The blonde ale isn't the greatest, I'm just drinking it to empty the bottles.
For old frozen shrimp, I like curry powder.

Yeah...I was looking at the hot madras, but decided I wanted to go southwest on it.

I've got some chicken in the fridge that I am going to turn into tikka masala with basmati rice, probably tomorrow evening.
Sounds yummy. :)

I worked a 9 1/2 hour day today. I'm slightly pissed about that. I had to work the extra time because two people went home early last night. I pulled their work out of the fire today. Oh well, more money for me I guess.

Sounds yummy. :)

I worked a 9 1/2 hour day today. I'm slightly pissed about that. I had to work the extra time because two people went home early last night. I pulled their work out of the fire today. Oh well, more money for me I guess.

As long as you get paid. If not I'd expect two people to do some nice things for you, whether they want to or not.

There is a roadside stand in Hawaii that serves fresh shrimp. My favorite is the garlic shrimp. The little fellas are just slathered in buttery sautéed garlic. Mmm good

If you like coconut one of my favorites is sautéed mushrooms and garlic in butter and olive oil, throw the shrimp in for a few minutes along with blanched 2 inch prices of asparagus. Add enough pins colada mix to make a nice sauce bring to heat and serve over fettuccini. The pop and bake biscuits go great as well for soaking up the sauce

There is a roadside stand in Hawaii that serves fresh shrimp. My favorite is the garlic shrimp. The little fellas are just slathered in buttery sautéed garlic. Mmm good

If you like coconut one of my favorites is sautéed mushrooms and garlic in butter and olive oil, throw the shrimp in for a few minutes along with blanched 2 inch prices of asparagus. Add enough pins colada mix to make a nice sauce bring to heat and serve over fettuccini. The pop and bake biscuits go great as well for soaking up the sauce

Hmmm. We don't get so much fresh shrimp out here, but about any other fish you can get pretty much right off the boat. A lot of my students work on commercial fishing vessels, they keep us in the know :)

Sorry about the typos. My iPhone has a mind of its own.
Yes, yes they do.

Not mine, but awesome
borrow-vibe.jpg

Thunder_Chicken said:
Hmmm. We don't get so much fresh shrimp out here, but about any other fish you can get pretty much right off the boat. A lot of my students work on commercial fishing vessels, they keep us in the know :)

Sounds like pretty decent fringe benefits. Fresh fish beats the heck out of an Apple!

Sounds like pretty decent fringe benefits. Fresh fish beats the heck out of an Apple!

My favorite is any sort of good game fish (tuna, swordfish, barracuda, mahi mahi, etc..) just rubbed with a good steakhouse seasoning mix and a little olive oil and seared in a red hot cast-iron skillet. Cooked on about the outer 1/4" of the cut, raw inside - awesome.

Thunder_Chicken said:
My favorite is any sort of good game fish (tuna, swordfish, barracuda, mahi mahi, etc..) just rubbed with a good steakhouse seasoning mix and a little olive oil and seared in a red hot cast-iron skillet. Cooked on about the outer 1/4" of the cut, raw inside - awesome.

That does sound delicious. This thread is making me thirsty and hungry.

Yes, yes they do.

Not mine, but awesome

Those things can be amusing but the vast majority these days are fake... there are plenty of sites/software that allow people to generate them.

One of my favorite fish dishes I've had is jerk swordfish. That wouldn't really work with most fish but swordfish has the structure necessary to make it work. And aside from that, swordfish is absolutely delicious... unfortunately, it also has pretty much the highest mercury content of any species, even exceeding on the order of several times other fish that are also considered to be very high in mercury. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably eat it every week.

Latest posts

Back