AG dunkelweizen decoction mash photo log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applaud you for working in cramped quarters and with an electric stove.

I have made approximately 20 batches of beer and did my first hefewiezen Sunday. I decided to decoct as well which was actually easy but I was unable raise the mash temp to 150 when I added it back. Next time I will take more grain out. I hope it makes a difference.

Great post with tons of excellent pictures!

I did my first decoction on a dunkelweizen as well. I don't think I pulled enough (or perhaps not thick enough) because after my decoction I only jumped from 122 to 138. Because of my lack of faith in my ability to decoct at that point I decided to use infusion to get to my rest temp. I plan to try decoction again but take much more of the mash grains.

I have the same issue, I usually never pull quite enough grain to get the temp high enough and have to do a second decoction. I figure it's best to err on the low side since that can be corrected.

The kitchen isn't really cramped. There's a whole "breakfast bar" area opposite of the stove where I keep all of my brewing stuff when I'm working on a batch. It feels like a laboratory :)

On refractometers: they can be used on finished beer, but not for getting the FG. I don't know what the actual formula is, but in Beersmith you can enter the refractometer reading of fermented beer and the FG as determined by a hydrometer, and it will output the OG.

I was in Lowe's last night and found the Benz-o-Matic oxygen tanks but couldn't find that adapter piece you used on the top of yours. Where did you get that valve?

Also, how long does that tank last. They're only about $8 bucks a pop...not a huge expense. Is the airstone that's used for this just a standard aquarium airstone?

Nice job! :mug:
My only gripe is now I'm in the mood to brew and I can't this week! :(
You also have me wondering how hard would it be to make an O2 system instead of buying one?
Some tubing, a racking cane, an O2 bottle, and a defusing stone... Hmmmmm???

Not to get off topic but since diffusing stones have been brought up...

I finally took my stone off and just put the tubing in the wort. I was barely getting any oxygen through the stone even with the reg turned all the way up. I've never touched it with my bare hands so I know it's not clogged or dirty. It actually seems like a solid piece to me, can't see any holes.

BTW, great write up and pictures Buford.

Do you have to do a decoction to brew that style..?

Back