American IPA Two Hearted Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
california Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days 68-70 Degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 Days
Tasting Notes
Tastes very much like original, recipe sent to me from Bell\'s
Grain
10 Lbs Briess Two Row Pale Malt
2.83 lbs Briess Pale Malt
.5 lbs Crystal 40L

Hops (total boil time 75 minutes)
1.2 Oz Centennial 45 Minutes
1.2 Oz Centennial 30 Minutes
3.5 Oz Centennial Dry Hop after 7 Days

Grain
10 Lbs Briess Two Row Pale Malt
2.83 lbs Briess Pale Malt
.5 lbs Crystal 40L

Hops (total boil time 75 minutes)
1.2 Oz Centennial 45 Minutes
1.2 Oz Centennial 35 Minutes
3.5 Oz Centennial Dry Hop after 7 Days

You boil for 75 minutes, but don't start hopping until 45 minutes? And then add the last hops 10 minutes later at 35 minutes? Weird hopping- I would have never thought it was all bittering hops like that.

Yooper said:
You boil for 75 minutes, but don't start hopping until 45 minutes? And then add the last hops 10 minutes later at 35 minutes? Weird hopping- I would have never thought it was all bittering hops like that.

0-45 minutes 1.2 and then next 35 another 1.2

From start of boil for 45 minutes it's 1.2 ounces of centennial hops and 1.2 more ounces for the final 35 minutes, I can send you PDF if you want it

Most brewers would write that as
1.2 oz Centennial - 75 min (since they are in the boil for the full 75 min.)
1.2 oz Centennial - 35 min

I've never had the real 2 heart but I would imagine this would taste nothing like the clone I made.

This is what they sent me.

2HeartedClone-1 copy.jpg

The recipe reads that you boil for 75, first hop addition is with 45mins to go & second hop addition is with 30mins to go.

Just thought I'd clarify.

The bittering hops are the 45 minutes additions.

2H is not real bitter, but has a lot of flavor/aroma. I've gotten close on a recipe doing a 60 minute bittering addition, but maybe I'll try a 45 minute next time and see what happens.

To be honest guys, I know the Zymergy recipe doesn't look right, but it's probably much closer to what Bell's actually does. Not to say in the homebrew environment it's the best recipe, thats probably pretty close to a scaled down version of their recipe

I think I might give this one a try. I have been doing a 60 minute boil with different hop additions and it seems too bitter.

Pale Ale malt is kilned slightly longer than 2-row. It's usually 3-4L, and more akin to Marris Otter.

I found this little gem from a Youtube video. at 7:11 minutes. It shows the fermentation temperature of Bell's Two-Hearted ale at 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I would guess that the fermentation temperature on the homebrew scale should be slightly lower due to various factors including pressure/fermentation vessel size.

bellstemps.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back