Is my apple juice fine for Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dacole

Reaction score
Hello. I am new to this forum as well as to mead making. I wanted to try a simple cyser recipe in a 1 gallon batch.

My wife picked up some apple juice today and I was just wondering if it will work fine. It is Sun-Rypes unsweetened Pure Apple Juice. The ingredients lists Apple Juice and Vitamin C. It also says on the bottle that its pasturiezed. Do you all think this will be an acceptable apple juice to use?

Thank you.

As long as it doesn't say sorbate or sulfite anywhere, you're probably fine.

Besides, it's a 1g batch - put it together and pitch yeast and if it ferments, you win. If not, you're only out 1g.

You could try 1g of cider so you don't waste any honey for a first batch as well.

Thanks for the replys. My confidence has now been boosted.

I will keep your advice in mind jezter6.

+1 agreeing that the juice is fine. I've used something similar - Whole Food's 365 pasteurized apple "cider". No problems.

What I have had problems with is looking at the label, seeing that it is juice, but nothing happened.So now I really look for 100% juice, or something that says no preservatives. It is the preservatives that get you.

If you want to read more about my experience...
http://candlewineproject.blogspot.com/2009/12/read-labels.html

Thanks for the comment CandleWineProject. I had read that before. I looked all over the label and couldn't find anything mentioning preservatives in it so it should hopefully work as long as I don't bung anything up, except the carboy.

Back