Pseudo-wild yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Reaction score
I have a starter that has been growing from the montrachet yeast I used in my Apfelwein. I was using some tree top apple juice to grow it. By accident, I left the jug of extra apple juice out over night in my fermentation room. Now it's bubbling madly and already gives a good buzz. Something powerful is in there. I currently have a centennial ale (nottingham), an apfelwein (montrachet), and a jug of spontaneously fermented fresh squeezed (non-pasteurized) apple cider fermenting in the room -- the only room where this bottle of tree top has ever been open.

What do you think I've got in there? As I said, whatever is in there is really powerful -- only out of the fridge for one night and the top of the bottle (it is about 1/2 full) is filled with froth (which is why I doubt it is only montrachet in there), and when I poured out a glass it had a head of about 4/5ths of the glass (which didn't die out). Should I save a portion to build a starter for my next batch of apfelwin?

who knows. if it doesn't get a pellicule or mold, its got to be wild yeast and not another fungal spore or bacteria.

Back