Is lead solder that bad on a manifold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memorex88

Reaction score
Is using minimal lead solder to hold the manifold together in a MLT cooler bad? Filing all the lead you see away so that it's only between the 2 copper pipes would be minuscule exposure to the wort.

Just want your opinion on this.

I think you should be fine. But I would use a asbestos insulated cooler just to be safe.

Lead and asbestos are great products except those pesky side effects of mental retardation and death. Other than those problems I think you should be fine.

Just get the Lead Free. It's still pretty cheap for a small roll that will last a long time.

Also, as an option, I did not solder my joints (just one or two) because there really is no need for it and then you can take the manifold apart and modify or clean with very much ease. (oh, crap, my grammar has gotten to the SPAM stage!)

Just like Homercidal, I've seen alot of people who don't even solder them together, they just dry fit their manifolds, so they can pull them apart for cleaning.

I only soldered a couple joints of my manifold to make it easier to fit together while still being able to take it apart and clean it.

Like mentioned...soldering is totally unnecessary.

Dry fit is tight enough when the pipe is cold...drop 155 degree mash on top and those joints are locked down tight.

This guy has done about 100 batches and narry a nudge during the mash, stirring or sparge.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

I love the responses, thanks for the laughs and insight. :D
Well I haven't soldered it and I probably won't unless, it falls apart while stirring the mash, only then I'll use silver solder here and there.

Back